Mosasaur jaws?

FF7_Yuffie

Hello, can someone take a look at these and let me know if they are ok? A pair of Mosasaur jaws I quite like. 

1st is a Globidens -- from Phosphate Beds. 5.12 inches. Seller says that the tooth is glued, but was found with the jaw.

2nd is Prognathodon -- says it has been glued and has some small fractures filled. Also from Phosphate beds.

Many thanks anyone who can help!

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

globidens1.jpg

prog.jpg

prog2.jpg

prog3.jpg

prog4.jpg

The Globidens piece has definitely been at least repaired. There is a lot of matrix still on there, making it hard to tell if the tooth actually belong on there. Other than that, this all looks fine.
These look pretty good. No clear red flags.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

15 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

The Globidens piece has definitely been at least repaired. There is a lot of matrix still on there, making it hard to tell if the tooth actually belong on there. Other than that, this all looks fine.
These look pretty good. No clear red flags.

Thankz for the help. I'll try my look and toss a bid in.

• 2 weeks later...

As @LordTrilobite mentioned, the repairs on the G. phosphaticus jaw are quite evident. Seeing as the tooth root can still be seen adhering to the jaw where not covered by matrix and a lot of matrix still clings to the bottom of the tooth itself, I'm doubtful whether the two belong together, even if the seller's story might be true in that both were found together. I've also got some reservations on whether the two parts of the jaw actually go together, as there's a significant fracture on one side separating the two pieces, whereas on the other the break has been very poorly covered up. Still, there are enough similarities between the fragments (colour, texture, directionality/continuation of texture, height and shape of the bones) to consider that the pieces might actually belong together.

My impression of the second piece is that it's the more genuine one, with less modifications and restorations. However, that's not a Prognathodon sp. tooth in there, nor is the jaw a section of pterygoid - which might have otherwise have explained the more recurved and smaller/less robust tooth. Instead, I think this is a Halisaurus sp. jaw fragment, and, moreover, to judge by the robustness and curvature of the tooth, of Halisaurus walkeri.

Have a look at this thread for comparison:

• I found this Informative 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett