My Daughter’s collection

dhiggi

The museum expansion continues! Another set of shelves to cope with the growing collection. The shelves on the left are all Ichthyosaurthe glass cabinet is now all ammonites and right hand shelves a mixture of everything else. Not sure how the collection can grow any more, perhaps a dedicated room!

30AC16CB-35DB-4A04-8FE5-4BF5920D60EA.jpeg

86768B54-A1D2-4784-B5E5-03EAAEA4C1B1.jpeg

63B915AB-02BC-4130-9670-29DA82C4F811.jpeg

BD5EE599-6B64-4820-8445-4E508D1888C9.jpeg

• Enjoyed 10

Looks good. The Ich stuff is impressive but your invert stuff is nothing to sniff at, either!

I wish I could figure out how to display more of my collection in such a way but it just takes up so much room no matter which way I cut it. So most of my stuff is in drawers - not as easy to browse as the kind of open displays you have but the drawer units do pack more fossils into a smaller area and aren't too bad to access (unless like me you've got a bunch of other things sitting in the way!)

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Wow! That's some collection already! If only I'd have had a collection like that when I was a kid :o The ichthyosaur section alone probably has mine beat, and those ammonites, fish, and invertebrate material look amazing too! But there's definitely still plenty of room on the shelves to shove stuff into ;) I keep being surprised how much I've been able to add to mine before they finally maxed out and I've needed to buy a new closet (should hopefully arrive this Thursday, as I haven't been able to use my desk the past one-and-half months or so due to the fossils covering every nook and cranny!). But expansion will certainly come. So better plan ahead for it! :D

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Wow, very nice! I can't believe how I missed this thread. I'm glad that your daughter shares your interest in fossils - it is nice when the children enjoy spending time with the parents. Happy Hunting! :)

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher 

23 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Wow! That's some collection already! If only I'd have had a collection like that when I was a kid :o The ichthyosaur section alone probably has mine beat, and those ammonites, fish, and invertebrate material look amazing too! But there's definitely still plenty of room on the shelves to shove stuff into ;) I keep being surprised how much I've been able to add to mine before they finally maxed out and I've needed to buy a new closet (should hopefully arrive this Thursday, as I haven't been able to use my desk the past one-and-half months or so due to the fossils covering every nook and cranny!). But expansion will certainly come. So better plan ahead for it! :D

I think in many ways I’m giving her the opportunity to have the childhood that I wanted. A handful of shop bought ammonites was as far as I got. I just wish I could find the +ve & -ve Dac nodule that I had, more for sentimental reasons than anything else.

The two sparser looking shelves are non Ichthyosaur or ammonite things that we’ve found. That category had been restricted to one shelf before the recent expansion. It means I can start picking up bivalves and belemnites again :D

• Enjoyed 1

28 minutes ago, dhiggi said:

I think in many ways I’m giving her the opportunity to have the childhood that I wanted.

Nothing wrong with that as long as you are both enjoying it and it brings you together. :beer:

• I Agree 1