NWARockhound

I was in my favorite creek bed for ammonites and nautiloids in a nice bed of Fayetteville Shale, when I found this fascinating little rock.  I think I read somewhere that you can find fish skin in the lower Fayettteville shale?  Whatever it is I've never found anything like it.  It's about 2in long, .5in wide, 1/8in thick.  There's a section running through it that looks like a core, but it didn't photograph very well.

20200726_173916.jpg

20200726_173900.jpg

It is a coalfield plant fossil, possibly a branch of Lepidodendron which has diamond-shaped leaf scars that spiral up the stem.

See photo from:

https://samnoblemuseum.ou.edu/common-fossils-of-oklahoma/plant-fossils/fossils-by-plant-group/fossil-lycophytes/

64F9549A-937D-42E2-9787-AA69C8A86D88.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 5

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Welcome to the forum. It looks like plant material to me, maybe something like Lepidodendron. In the future, it's helpful to include the age of the rocks you're hunting in as most people will be unfamiliar with the specific formations in your area.

• I found this Informative 1

19 minutes ago, connorp said:

Welcome to the forum. It looks like plant material to me, maybe something like Lepidodendron. In the future, it's helpful to include the age of the rocks you're hunting in as most people will be unfamiliar with the specific formations in your area.

That makes sense to me, I'll be sure to do that in the future, thanks for the tip and for the ID!

• I found this Informative 1

@NWARockhound Lepidodendron is also sometimes referred to as scale tree. It is a favourite of mine and I have 4 of 5 pieces in my collection.  :)