Real fish skull bone from the Kem Kem Beds?

Hi,

Just wanted to check if this fish skull bone from the Kem Kem in Morocco is real or not? I think it is, but I wanted to get opinions about this fossil. Seller states that there is no restoration only a few glued fractures. It is 12cm in length. Thank you.

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Yes, it does indeed look like a partial fish braincase.

• I found this Informative 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

What happened to it, though? I'm more used to seeing fish fossils from Goulmima, and these are generally much better preserved. There is some visibly preserved bone in this specimen, and there are some suggestive shapes, but overall there seems to be a lot of matrix adhering still...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

5 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

What happened to it, though? I'm more used to seeing fish fossils from Goulmima, and these are generally much better preserved. There is some visibly preserved bone in this specimen, and there are some suggestive shapes, but overall there seems to be a lot of matrix adhering still...

Most fish material from Kem Kem that I've seen is generally quite well preserved. Often beautifully 3d preservation and often preserves things like cartilage and even gill arches.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite