Caution Under Calvert Cliffs

AndrewBorn

I know it has been said before, but anyone collecting along Calvert Cliffs, always be careful.  I was out yesterday and saw 2 different falls.  One was giving warning of it coming, with a number of small clods trickling down.  I did not hang out in that area and kept well away from the cliff.  About 45 minutes later I heard the sound of a fall and saw it come down.  As I was kayaking home I saw another section, about the size of 2 minivans, come down.  That was in an area that sees a lot of collectors. 

Also, when I was out yesterday the bay was absolutely full of sea nettles.  It looked like the scene from "Finding Nemo" with the jellyfish swarm.  Those actually sting, and they were so thick anyone in the water would encounter dozens of tentacles very quickly.

• I found this Informative 3

Thank you for the warning. I was looking to hunt Calvert Cliffs. I contacted one of the Maryland State officials who wrote an article on fossils there to confirm the precautions I could take. I'm paraphrasing, but he told me to stay in the water in case I needed to run away from the cliffs in case of a landslide. He made it clear that this is never a risk-free area. That's when I decided I wouldn't do Calvert Cliffs. Lovely site to be sure, but not risk I'm comfortable with.

I've seen a few falls over the years.  I've always give myself a safety margin around any cliffs when out collecting, and pay attention if there are any trees that look close to coming down.  The cliff falls tend to be straight down, occupying 10-15 feet out from the cliffs when they settle, though bigger falls can obviously occupy a lot more space.  That means keeping out on the edge of the beach or even wading is a huge improvement in your safety margin.  Trees though, they can topple well out from the cliffs.

The place I saw the second fall is somewhere I saw a fall last year or the year prior, except I was on the beach at the waterline.  When the fall happened I quickly retreated away from it and into the water, but clay chunks the size of bowling balls or bigger can bounce farther than you would think.

• I found this Informative 2

BellamyBlake are you from scarborough. i am down near bellamy and kingston

once at the scarborough bluffs i was at the base off the bluff... looking up taking a picture

after snapping a pic and as i was moving the camera away from my face a large slab let go at the top of the bluff

i turned and ran and hit my friend beside me and yelled at him to run

we had to run into the lake and debris was hitting our hands and feet as we ran

once out in waist deep water and looking back at where we once stood there was a 15 - 20 foot pile of debris where we were seconds ago

i was out east in the fall collecting at an amethyst location and an experienced collector from the area told me a story of being struck

by a large rock which hit him in the back while he was hunched over

it broke several ribs but he lived through the experience

• 2 weeks later...

Wow--thanks so much for sharing this info, everyone! I'm headed to Calvert Cliffs today and will be extra cautious. @BellamyBlake, great idea to stay out in the water!

On 2020-08-01 at 8:50 AM, subsonicdrone said:

BellamyBlake are you from scarborough. i am down near bellamy and kingston

once at the scarborough bluffs i was at the base off the bluff... looking up taking a picture

after snapping a pic and as i was moving the camera away from my face a large slab let go at the top of the bluff

i turned and ran and hit my friend beside me and yelled at him to run

we had to run into the lake and debris was hitting our hands and feet as we ran

once out in waist deep water and looking back at where we once stood there was a 15 - 20 foot pile of debris where we were seconds ago

i was out east in the fall collecting at an amethyst location and an experienced collector from the area told me a story of being struck

by a large rock which hit him in the back while he was hunched over

it broke several ribs but he lived through the experience. 

I'm from Scarborough and had no idea the Bluffs were so dangerous. Glad you and your friend were okay after that! Thanks for the warning. It pays to be safe around large cliffs. 

23 minutes ago, ToothNoob said:

Wow--thanks so much for sharing this info, everyone! I'm headed to Calvert Cliffs today and will be extra cautious. @BellamyBlake, great idea to stay out in the water!

Good luck and stay safe! 

• 2 weeks later...