Megalodon Restoration - Painting

BellamyBlake

Hi everyone,

I have a Megalodon tooth that I'm looking to restore. It's 85% complete and has sections missing from the sides, and a little bit from the tip. I've read the guides here and understand how to restore it. I also have to think about which acrylic paints to purchase, and that's what my question pertains to.

It seems the dark brown for the root will be easy - black mixed with brown. How about the taupe color for the enamel? Could anyone please suggest which paints to purchase to obtain that?

20200727_193955.jpg

Posting this in case anyone else has a similar project. I learned about Megalodon restorations from a post by @Reptilia about 4 years ago, and have been restoring them ever since. I am planning to do a really comprehensive guide on Megalodon restoration at some point with all of the tricks I have learned. For the root repair, texturing can be achieved with either a wire brush, or by buying a silicone two part mold and painting some onto the root as a sort of negative texture stamp that you remove when dried. For the enamel coloring, I would say acrylic paint. a light grey, a tan color and you should also use brown and maybe a tiny bit of black as the base layer. I generally use a thicker brush first to apply the base layer, and then a thinner brush for solving surface colors. To give it a real gloss you will want to buy a duraclear or triple thick and water that down. Good luck! Can’t wait to see pictures

• I found this Informative 6

5 minutes ago, mattbsharks said:

Posting this in case anyone else has a similar project. I learned about Megalodon restorations from a post by @Reptilia about 4 years ago, and have been restoring them ever since. I am planning to do a really comprehensive guide on Megalodon restoration at some point with all of the tricks I have learned. For the root repair, texturing can be achieved with either a wire brush, or by buying a silicone two part mold and painting some onto the root as a sort of negative texture stamp that you remove when dried. For the enamel coloring, I would say acrylic paint. a light grey, a tan color and you should also use brown and maybe a tiny bit of black as the base layer. I generally use a thicker brush first to apply the base layer, and then a thinner brush for solving surface colors. To give it a real gloss you will want to buy a duraclear or triple thick and water that down. Good luck! Can’t wait to see pictures

Thank you very much for the detailed information! I'll definitely post some photos once this is done. I look forward to reading that guide because, if nothing else, buying busted Megs and restoring them just seems like fun, and a comprehensive guide on that would be lovely.

• I found this Informative 1

7 hours ago, mattbsharks said:

I learned about Megalodon restorations from a post by @Reptilia about 4 years ago, and have been restoring them ever since. I am planning to do a really comprehensive guide on Megalodon restoration at some point with all of the tricks I have learned.

We look forward to reading that guide when you are able to complete it. ;)

We have some really talented restorers here on the forum. Their craft and artistry amaze me. It's a good thing they are using their super powers for good (improving the look of broken fossils in their own collections) instead of trying to deceive naive buyers.

Charlie @fossilized6s has an incredible eye for restoration and painting. Though color blind, he has a magical sense for color matching. He's busy running his own company doing custom motorcycles but checks in here now and then. You can do an advanced search here on the forum (by clicking the "looking glass" icon in the search bar on the TFF home page). Click the "+Search By Author" and enter Charlie's forum name (fossilized6s) to select posts from him. Enter the search term "paint" and you will see some of his past posts he did on restorations (like the links below).

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/54174-spino-resto/

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/87155-update-3919-basilosaurus-reconstructionrepairrestoration-diy/

@BellamyBlake we will enjoy following along with the restoration of the meg tooth shown above. Take lots of photos during the process and create a nice photo-rich post when you are completed (even if the result of your first restoration is not as successful as you'd like). Knowledge posted here is knowledge shared. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

@digit Thank you for sharing Charlie's work! What an absolutely outstanding artist he is. I'm glad that, like you say, folks like him are using their powers for artistic merit and to wow us all because there are certainly those who instead deceive newer collectors.

I'll be sure to share my work once it's finished. Indeed, I already got started! The sculpting is finished. After the epoxy dries, I'm going to tackle the painting. Regardless of the outcome, this is really fun and I'm happy I undertook this project. Until later :)