CornyCook

I recently found this on a diving adventure and would like any information y’all may have! I have more photos and could take more if needed! Thanks 

34085013-E762-432C-81A8-49FC06416F77.jpeg

166F4298-2210-4161-ACC4-27E2BEB8EB93.jpeg

I would agree a partial Mastodon.  Nice find!  If you do a search on this site for Mastodon tooth you will find numerous photos for comparison.

Indeed! A really nice partial mastodon with two cusps! Great find. Since you're in Florida the species is Mammut americanum. 

:thumbsu:

Oh, it's absolutely nothing--nothing at all--you should just mail this to me to avoid cluttering up the landfill with it. :P

Looks like it was a great diving adventure! I've been hunting fossils for 13 years in Florida and even that partial Mastodon tooth is 4X more complete than any of the bits I've found. The roots of these teeth do not seem to like stay stuck to the enameled crowns and the deep grooves between the cusps tend to make the tooth fall apart into individual cusps pretty readily. The cusps themselves also seem quite fragile and most Mastodon tooth finds are just fragmentary pieces of very distinctive enamel. I've found a few nice (unerupted) single cusps but never anything even partially associated like your find.

Out of curiosity, was this an inland (river) find or were you diving offshore?

Welcome to the forum! Lots of great info here (and terrific fossils to ogle at). ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

5 minutes ago, digit said:

I've been hunting fossils for 13 years in Florida and even that partial Mastodon tooth is 4X more complete than any of the bits I've found.

..but you did find an "OK :yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1:maybe slightly better than OK" Mammoth tooth if I recall!   Fossil Hunters, like the big beastie teeth they seek,, NEVER forget.

Congratulations @CornyCook and welcome to the forum.  Great Start!!!

I however, have found some mostly complete Mastodon teeth , and even one tusk. Here is one, not my biggest or best but, like my children, I love them all.

image.thumb.png.a5bf143b0cb02a5510aafe36a22ab9a8.png

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

7 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

..but you did find an "OK :yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1:maybe slightly better than OK" Mammoth tooth if I recall!

Yup. But you are always seeking that which you have not yet experienced finding. :)

We've seen some fragmentary (and nearly complete) Mastodon teeth appear here on the forum (mostly Florida hunters but I believe at least one from Texas). They are uncommon enough that members are quick to post here when they find one.

@CornyCook you've started your time here on the forum with a great find and set the bar high for future finds. We look forward to what your next diving "adventure" might produce.

Cheers.

-Ken

1 hour ago, digit said:

Oh, it's absolutely nothing--nothing at all--you should just mail this to me to avoid cluttering up the landfill with it. :P

Looks like it was a great diving adventure! I've been hunting fossils for 13 years in Florida and even that partial Mastodon tooth is 4X more complete than any of the bits I've found. The roots of these teeth do not seem to like stay stuck to the enameled crowns and the deep grooves between the cusps tend to make the tooth fall apart into individual cusps pretty readily. The cusps themselves also seem quite fragile and most Mastodon tooth finds are just fragmentary pieces of very distinctive enamel. I've found a few nice (unerupted) single cusps but never anything even partially associated like your find.

Out of curiosity, was this an inland (river) find or were you diving offshore?

Welcome to the forum! Lots of great info here (and terrific fossils to ogle at). ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Yes @digit it was a river.  I do have to say, this tooth is the coolest thing I’ve found! I have found several other fossils, most of them I’m not sure what they are. Several bits and pieces of turtle shell. I recently for some pieces that look like a very large turtle, maybe y’all could help identify! 

DA4BA6E9-16A9-48C6-B23D-B424CEE2F957.jpeg

The scalloped edge on that one does look turtle (or more likely tortoise). We had a Galapagos Tortoise size critter roaming (very very slowly) around Florida back in the day. Do some searches for Hesperotestudo and you'll see interesting images.

Cheers.

-Ken