Editing Paleobiology Database help

DPS Ammonite

There is an error in the location of the most famous Pennsylvanian fossil site in Arizona, (Kohl Ranch) on the Paleobiology Database. Is there anyone with editing privileges (or willing to get them) with Paleobiodb that can correct it? I think that you need to be a professional with an accredited institution? 

Once it is corrected, a link to the Kohl Ranch locality on Paleobiodb  will be useful when I enter fossils from that locality in Collections.

Thank you for your help.

https://paleobiodb.org/#/

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I wish I knew the answer to this.  I recently did a search for "dinosauria" and came up with many Tertiary results.  Huh?  

edit: It occurs to me that my search also came up with birds as part of dinosauria. 

Indeed there is a chart on the right side that lists the sub-divisions and in my dinosauria search, 26% were Aves.  When I limited it to Mesozoic dinosauria, only 2% were aves.  

• I found this Informative 2

Making a correction at PBDB is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.  They are notoriously awful with innumerable errors and omissions ... especially on invertebrates. 

They are ok for some useful nuggets of info ... but I would never rely on them as the final word on anything without rigorously vetting the details in the peer reviewed literature.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

PBDB records are supposed to be tied to specific publications, which is supposed to vaguely represent individual "collections" from any given site. That approach makes it difficult to fix misidentifications and new taxon IDs, especially if taxa are being added incrementally to a locality's records. Anyone who is doing serious taxonomy-based work needs to spend considerable time cleaning PBDB records prior to publication. Most of us do not have PBDB editing privileges (which are more formally overseen than, say, wikipedia editing privileges), which makes it even harder to address these sorts of problems.

The Odontoceti page on PBDB should have been updated to reflect that "Uncametodon" is a nomen nudum for what is now Waipatia hectori, because that taxon was long considered its own genus until new preparation of the holotype revealed it to be congeneric with the Waipatia type species.

Also, the Schizodelphis page at PBDB overlooks the fact that Schizodelphis barnesi was coined in a Ph.D thesis by Myrick (1979) is thus is not valid under ICZN rules. Therefore, the dolphin informally dubbed Rhabdosteus barnesi in Myrick's thesis should be given a new name.

Yeah, it’s a taxonomic graveyard. I’ve been doing the “Fossilblitz” on MyFossil which uses PBDB as a source to auto fill some information and it is crazy the stuff it comes up with

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Before we all get too critical, it is good to remember that the PB Database is done by only a handful of folks and there is a ton of info to sort through.  It is a great place to start in search of info.  And, yes, their strengths lie in the vertebrates, so gaps in the inverts section are not surprising.  

I was successfully able to correct the location of the Kohl Ranch site (on Mindat) by editing the coordinates to its proper location under State Highway 260. Mindat uses info from PBDB to create a map. 

If anyone wants me to try to correct the location of their favorite fossil locality in Mindat send me a PM. Right now I am concentrating on editing the info for my area of familiarity, central Arizona.

2FC40CC3-D1CE-4C20-8F36-E2EE1E1ADD06.jpeg

A4545BEC-1F51-494C-B78A-F7122F5E3669.jpeg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

So, the Kohl Ranch site has been paved over and is now underneath HWY 260?  I didn't know that. :shakehead:

Don