BellamyBlake

Hi everyone,

I posted yesterday about restoring my Megalodon tooth. I'd like to first and foremost thank the community for their help in answering those questions, and special shoutouts along that vein to @Reptilia and @mattbsharks.

This is a 3" tooth from South Carolina that was around 85% complete. It was missing parts of the sides, and the tip. I completed the restoration today. Overall I'm happy with it. To me, it looks like it's been restored. That could simply be because I'm the one who worked on it. Nevertheless it was fun, not to mention great experience for next time!

Supplies used:

* Acrylic paint (Black, Brown, White, Tan, and Golden Brown)

* Gloss finish

* Epoxy putty (PaleoPutty is hard to find in Canada; I used JBWeld High Heat, which allows 1 hour before setting)

* Sandpaper (220 grit)

* Respirator (sanding safety!)

* Paintbrushes (soft, made of the finest imported mammoth fur just kidding extremely generic)

* Knife (detailing)

Here's the tooth before I reconstructed it:

20200727_193955.jpg.2f4c71c4621c67d9c71d3736e2b74e98.jpg

20200727_194101.jpg.f70bec1cda93dab850cf570119309242.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Here's the painting and blending process, but in a twist of fate I decided I loved this dark grey I mixed up and wanted to incorporate that color into the entire enamel:

20200728_220139.jpg

Here's another restoration on a 2.5" tooth with frontal damage along the tip and blade, and a chunk missing on both sides of the root. Turned out pretty well, I think!

20200729_143159.jpg

These are a great start! Restoration is addicting, I think you’ll find a strong compulsion to keep doing it!

4 hours ago, mattbsharks said:

These are a great start! Restoration is addicting, I think you’ll find a strong compulsion to keep doing it!

Thanks man! I'm convinced I botched my first one because I couldn't get the colors to match, but it was fun. Ultimately I took acetone to it and redid the paint, and it looks less obviously restored after that attempt. I'm just glad that I bought a bunch of broken Megs that I can practice on haha. You're right - it's really addicting!

• 2 months later...

Great work!! Like I said in our messages, color matching is the hardest part. I normally have to redo megalodon enamel at least once for that very reason. Bone is easy, but enamel is very unforgiving. Also, if you take some fine grit sandpaper to the hardened putty prior to painting, you can get a really nice, smooth surface. Keep up the good work :) 

"I am a part of all that I have met." - Lord Alfred Tennyson