What brand of acetone do you use for paraloid b72?

MrBones

I would like to know what brand of acetone is the best to use with paraloid b72, or if they are all the same. I would also like to know how to mix it, and what percentage of paraloid b72 to use. The fossils I find here are often very dry, brittle, and have cracks in them. I would like to use the paraloid solution to coat the surfaces.

I'm not sure what is happening in UAE, but here in the States, it is OK to use Acetone from the hardware store.  I use Vinac so I cannot help with exact proportions, but I use a magnetic stirrer to mix my Vinac and I test it by putting a drop on a piece of scrap wood.  If it seeps into the grain quickly, it might be too thin.  If it goes slowly, that might be good, if it just sits there in a ball, it is too thick for coating but would work well as a glue.  You don't need a magnetic strirrer, but it does go a lot faster.  The main rule is to put your acetone in a jar first and slowly drizzle the beads into the acetone. 

Better yet, hang the beads from a cheesecloth bag from the lid.  I know there are directions for this online

here is one of many sources of info:

https://fossil.15656.com/resources/paraloid-b72/

Found it:

https://www.academia.edu/1237393/Paraloid_B-72_Practical_Tips_for_the_Vertebrate_Fossil_Preparator

Good luck.  You want it pretty thin to preserve delicate fossils, and pretty thick to use as a glue.  

• I found this Informative 4

7 minutes ago, jpc said:

I'm not sure what is happening in UAE, but here in the States, it is OK to use Acetone from the hardware store.  I use Vinac so I cannot help with exact proportions, but I use a magnetic stirrer to mix my Vinac and I test it by putting a drop on a piece of scrap wood.  If it seeps into the grain quickly, it might be too thin.  If it goes slowly, that might be good, if it just sits there in a ball, it is too thick for coating but would work well as a glue.  You don't need a magnetic strirrer, but it does go a lot faster.  The main rule is to put your acetone in a jar first and slowly drizzle the beads into the acetone. 

Better yet, hang the beads from a cheesecloth bag from the lid.  I know there are directions for this online

here is one of many sources of info:

https://fossil.15656.com/resources/paraloid-b72/

Found it:

https://www.academia.edu/1237393/Paraloid_B-72_Practical_Tips_for_the_Vertebrate_Fossil_Preparator

Good luck.  You want it pretty thin to preserve delicate fossils, and pretty thick to use as a glue.  

Thank you! This was very helpful.

Any acetone is good as long as it is actually acetone, not a mix like nail polish remover. I like a 1 part Paraloid to 50 parts acetone by weight (2.5% solution) for a very thin consolidation application.

At this ratio, there's no special mixing requirements. Weigh your acetone and then add the required plastic to the solvent. Shake it up and let it sit for an hour or so, then shale it again and you should have fully dissolved the plastic.

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Any acetone is good as long as it is actually acetone, not a mix like nail polish remover. I like a 1 part Paraloid to 50 parts acetone by weight (2.5% solution) for a very thin consolidation application.

At this ratio, there's no special mixing requirements. Weigh your acetone and then add the required plastic to the solvent. Shake it up and let it sit for an hour or so, then shale it again and you should have fully dissolved the plastic.

Sounds good! Just one more question, should you make a fresh batch every time you want to use it? or can you store the paraloid solution in a proper container?

4 hours ago, MrBones said:

Sounds good! Just one more question, should you make a fresh batch every time you want to use it? or can you store the paraloid solution in a proper container?

Worst case scenario, when it thickens (it will over time as acetone will evaporate while the jar is open) simply add more acetone. The ratio is a rough guide and doesn’t fit all possible applications. Some specimens will require a higher viscosity for consolidation whereas others will require an even lower viscosity.

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have always used the hardware store / Walmart basic Acetone. I keep it in a jar with a piece of wax paper between it and the lid to keep it from self sealing.

Over a period of months it seems to evaporate out and I add some acetone back in to make it liquid again.

• I found this Informative 1

Fossils of Parks Township - ResearchCatalog | How-to Make High-Contrast Photos