Bugs

Jared J

Decided to post some pics of a few Insects fossil from the Hawes quarry in colorado that ive collected over the past coupple of years enjoy.

1 Assassin bug.

2 Two files playing tag

3 Rove beetle.

4 unidentified fly.

5 Fungus gnat.

6 Large spider.

7Large bug mash.

8 Large bug mash.

9 Praying mantis.

10 Praying mantis.

11 Phasmid other wise known as a walking stick.

post-261-1205801606_thumb.jpg

post-261-1205801615_thumb.jpg

post-261-1205801623_thumb.jpg

post-261-1205801632_thumb.jpg

post-261-1205801641_thumb.jpg

post-261-1205801658_thumb.jpg

post-261-1205801665_thumb.jpg

post-261-1205801671_thumb.jpg

post-261-1205801678_thumb.jpg

post-261-1205801688_thumb.jpg

post-261-1205801695_thumb.jpg

amazing! those are some beautiful specimins! where abouts is hawes quarry? how far from denver? hmmm

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Now those are the kinds of bug fossils that I'd love to get my hands on! The assassin bug looks like it's gonna crawl off if you touch it. Thanks for the pics!

Guest Nicholas

I only have one bug it is a little Weevil. Soon as I get my comp fixed(been saying this for weeks) I'll post the little guy

You have some awesome ones, are they collected or bought?

HOLY COW!!! Those are absolutely freakin beautiful! Just where is this place? I want to go! Not that I have the time, but I would love to stop there for a day and see what happens? Super nice bugs. Good job!

RB

ride on brock dans my dad I think i might of meet you down at tuscon last year but im not sure. yeah Im the kid in a few of the pics in the light blue shirt about 7 inches taller 20 pounds lighter and 2 years older now. but the hawes quarry is a privately owned quarry in the parachute creek member of the green river formation. That produces some of the best preserved insect fossils in the world. But unfortunately is closed to digging to all except bill his partner mike and a few of his friends. but if your interested in digging bugs you might want to consider visiting Douglas pass Colorado or bonanza Utah which also produce similar fossils.

Guest N.AL.hunter

Beautiful insects. I have a lot myself from the Bonanza site, but they are not as wonderful as yours. Would love to visit the quarry sometime. WOW

• 2 months later...

I'm familiar enough with Douglass Pass & Bonanza material, but this quarry is producing fantastic fossils in fantastic variety. You are very fortunate to have access!!! Sone of the sites in the Parachute Creek Fm. occasionally produce bird tracks/feathers; ever come across any at this quarry?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!