BirdsRDinos

Is it illegal in any way to have elephant bird fossils, if not how rare are they. Are they pretty common in the public? Thanks everyone

25 minutes ago, caterpillar said:

What do you mean with "elephant bird"? If you think Aepyornis, yes it's illegal. But many people have

Isn't Aepyornis material the same with other restricted specimens where there is a soft ban where it is legal if taken prior (allegedly) to the ban, or is there a hard ban? Nonetheless, the eggshells are openly circulated so at least those appear to be very common. Which I assume means composite eggs can and do pop up occasionally as well.

• I found this Informative 1

It is not a question of species but a question of legislation linked to the different countries. Aepyornis is banned because it is found in Madagascar and this country prohibits the export of its fossils. They are only authorized when they have undergone human intervention (sawing, polishing). But in the crates of worked fossils mix raw fossils

• I found this Informative 1

54 minutes ago, caterpillar said:

It is not a question of species but a question of legislation linked to the different countries. Aepyornis is banned because it is found in Madagascar and this country prohibits the export of its fossils. They are only authorized when they have undergone human intervention (sawing, polishing). But in the crates of worked fossils mix raw fossils

Oh, I was under the impression that at one point in time, it wasn't illegal to import raw fossils, hence a few oddities from Madagascar from time to time. But would that imply that all of the occasional Majungasaurus or other teeth, claws, fish, and bones were all smuggled out?

Either they passed illegally, or thanks to a bribe. But in both cases, it is prohibited

Scientists can release material with permission (and bribes) but normally they must return it after studies