ORDOVICIAN FOSSIL

PaleoOrdo

Hello

I found this fossil in south of Norway, many circles and it s from silur. Coral or a small tre? Anyone have an idea on what is could be?

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

martin

5f22b168790c7_FOSSIL3.thumb.jpg.a5c9c21653361cca2e30bd7eecfa112a.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Can you take a picture of the lower right corner. It shows some sort of structure that will aid in IDing. Also include some measuring device so we know how large it is. 

Mike

+1 for coral

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

It is nothing more to see in the lower right corner, and the item is about 2,5 cm in diameter.

Martin

@PaleoOrdo, I think the structures seen here help to verify the item in question likely is both partial imprint and part of a favosite. The polygonal corralites can be seen in this enlargement. 

Tile2.jpg.5e3b0d89952ec0e971881db6541ed0e0.jpg

Tile3.jpg.5428ede79a8340b726300cd64234cc74.jpg

minnbuckeye - thank you for the enlargement.

It is nothing more to see in the lower right corner, and the item is about 2,5 cm in diameter.

Martin

Interesting that I found another stone nearby, which I almost though was of no value, which have the exact favosite polygonal forms. It was very difficult to discover them, but the enlargment was the key ... Here is the stone:

5f2402ed2d41e_utvendigbikubekorall.thumb.jpg.6ae21d02c2eaf6043c0a807ee9e882ff.jpg

Her is another pic of the stone, interestingly the zoids are very very small, maybe not part of the same speciemen as stone number 1:

5f240425e57aa_utvendigbikubekoralldel2.thumb.jpg.55905f75c6fc3a6d4dd5601aa62a5d9f.jpg

If the holes/pores are really tiny, could it be a bryozoan rather than a coral?

• 2 weeks later...

I do nt understand how it can be a freshwater bryozoan, as the other fossils found in the area are not from freshwater ...

Martin