Is this part vertebra?

FossilDiggin

Found this in central Louisiana along with what I would assume is the end of a rib bone? How can you tell if it was from a land animal or ocean dwellers of the time. Excuse my lack of knowledge in this area I am new to this hobby. The first picture has clearly a hole through it where I’m assuming was where either nerve/blood vessel ran through. Just not sure what part of bone it is or who it belonged to.35261E90-C060-4185-8C88-61F18F39776F.thumb.jpeg.d043be8b9f140a0ddc4ed9d2bdee06ba.jpeg

1D4C703B-C7B4-42A4-B68C-124E3A894B80.jpeg

39E60874-2EE9-4656-9EB9-857D49D32E5F.jpeg

DEBFA463-E7F4-4276-949B-A6CD675E0E93.jpeg

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Is this part vertebra?

Welcome to the forum, seems like you find interesting things.

My confusion.  You provide 4 photos.  Are these all of the same fossil?

1 & 3 are a rib end fossil bone. I find many dugong ribs that look like these, but some times I find mammoth, horse, or sloth ribs. Ribs look like ribs where you find them.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Sorry no they are two different fossils the photos uploaded mixed. Yes I am aware the one is a rib bone. I was just curious as to if anyone would have a guess as to what it may have went to. It’s pretty large about 5” wide. I was thinking whale possibly Basilosaurus? I know there’s no way to know but a fella can dream lol. Just seems too wide for most everything else in the area at the time. Most of the fossils I find are of sea creatures stingray, shark, swordfish and so on. My main question was the other specimen. I’ve never found anything like it out there. It’s shaped like a foot (I know it’s not a foot though ) but it has the hole where either blood vessels nerve or tendon went through. One side is smooth jointed where it would of joined another bone. I’ve just never seen another fossil here similar to it.

1 minute ago, FossilDiggin said:

it has the hole where either blood vessels nerve or tendon went through.

I think into may be a better term. Although if it is part of a jaw bone through may be accurate.