Devonian Fish?

Crazyhen

This specimen is from Quqing of Yunnan Province, China.  Devonian period.  Any idea if it is a placodermi?

IMG_7390~1.jpg

To my untrained eye this looks a bit like the shell of a horseshoe crab or some related crab species. Bear in mind, very untrained eye.

Hopefully some one else with a keener eye can shed a light on it. I'm curious!

Horseshoe Crab4.jpg

Edited by Hugh Mongous
  • I found this Informative 1

hmmm..Im not seeing any texture that reminds me of bone. Most of the placoderm armor plates had some. as it was bone and had blood vessel, etc.1200px-Bothriolepis_panderi.thumb.jpg.05c4fac55140c7204f8b3fd2255c7107.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

I have only acquired this photo at the moment.  No one there knows what it is or if it is a fossil or geological formation.

I think it's a geological formation rather than a fossil. It looks to have a symmetry, but I'm not sure of that.:headscratch:

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Do you have the counterpart ? Something tells me that a significant amount of information is there.

15 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Do you have the counterpart ? Something tells me that a significant amount of information is there.

Unfortunately only this is left.

Someone advised that it should be the last segment of a Pterygotus.  Seems that Pterygotus is not common in China.

7CAE06EC-C182-4EF1-A7E1-5792BCEDD32E.jpeg  56B55EAC-CE93-4869-BD72-A0C1F41BE29D.jpeg

11 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

Someone advised that it should be the last segment of a Pterygotus.  Seems that Pterygotus is not common in China.

7CAE06EC-C182-4EF1-A7E1-5792BCEDD32E.jpeg  56B55EAC-CE93-4869-BD72-A0C1F41BE29D.jpeg

Looks like you found it! 

On 7/31/2020 at 9:35 AM, JimB88 said:

hmmm..Im not seeing any texture that reminds me of bone. Most of the placoderm armor plates had some. as it was bone and had blood vessel, etc.1200px-Bothriolepis_panderi.thumb.jpg.05c4fac55140c7204f8b3fd2255c7107.jpg

That's a rather impressive piece! Any idea if it is a cast, or an original?

22 minutes ago, MrBones said:

That's a rather impressive piece! Any idea if it is a cast, or an original?

Not sure, its just a random image from Google.