Show Us Your Mazon Creek Fossils!

pleecan

RC Fossils.... What a fabulous fossil Collection !!!! .... each one a museum piece... it must have taken you years and lots of patients and $$ and time and effort to amass this wonderful collection.... I am just awe struck ....Thank you for your posting and for sharing images of your collection.... I will definately visit your gallery. Best Regards, PL.

Thanks Pleecan, Yes I have been collecting since I was a kd (around thirty years) and it has been a lot of work and money to assemble the ollection.

Thanks Pleecan, Yes I have been collecting since I was a kd (around thirty years) and it has been a lot of work and money to assemble the ollection.

Yes, those are great specimens. Those two fish are probably the most distinct ones I've ever seen and I don't think I've ever seen a scorpion from there before. Those are some big ferns too. You hardly ever see anything like that available anymore.

Yes! An excellent collection. RCFossils, shortly after joining the forum, your gallery was one of the first things I looked at!

Every single piece is awesome. I enjoyed looking at all of them.

I've done some collecting in the WRA, and have a few decent finds, so I can only imagine the hours you've put in.

I'm dying to get back down there. I've never taken a boat, but I'm curious about the islands in the cooling lake. I know Bug Island is off limits, but what about the others? Any thoughts you'd like to share?

Thank you,

Tim

RCFossils, yours is the finest collection of the fabulous Mazon Creek biota in private hands that I have ever had the pleasure of viewing, and the depth of your erudition on the fauna is staggering! Thank you for sharing it with all of us.

I have no choice but to acknowledge your accomplishment by offering you the Fossil Forum's Golden Drool Bucket Award; well done!

post-423-12614059954783_thumb.jpg

(Edit:  Link to 'RCFossils' Mazon fossils)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I have already posted a few hundred specimens in my photo album. Here are some examples of why the fossils at Mazon Creek are word famous.

I will start by listing the animal that the dposit is best known for. Tullimonstrum gregarium is an enigmatic creature that might be a shelless mollusk or perhaps its own unique phyllum.

Complete specimens are extremely rare and only known from Illinois.

Thank you very much for posting the Tully monster! A very unique looking creature like a slug with long snout with sharp teeth at the end..... good for poking around nooks and crannies on the se floor scavanging in the murky mud floor for tasty soft bodied critters. Congratulations on the well deserving GDB Award! PL

Edited by pleecan

RCFossils..... There are some beautiful fossils there..... and not to dissimilar to what I collect myself....Its nice to see the patternation of the shark, I have found bits of that, the egg case and the colour pigmentation on the insect wings.... truly wonderful finds.... for some reason page 1 isnt loading for me, i will try again later.....

It finally worked once I got to see most of page 1 then it stopped loading again..... Nice fossils as well Nala..... Its been really nice seeing this stuff. I will check out RCF's loaded images in the gallery.....

Thanks for sharing....

Edited by Terry Dactyll

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

RCFossils, well what can I say, still a little groggy here! I've been semi-unconscious for the past couple minutes after having viewed the entries in this posting---what jaw dropping museum display specimens!! WOW!!WOW!

The fine details in those---Utterly amazing!! The shark and fish!! Did you say SPOTS??? Is that another Euproops looking creature? Oh Lord. And you have plant material as well!!! I'll tell the wife that I'm gonna be alright but I still havent checked out the gallery yet.

What a treat it is to see this absolutely wonderful, very, so very rare, variety of material! Thank you oh so much for sharing! Regards, Chris

Many thanks to everyone for all of the kind posts. It is definately nice to hear that others appreciate the unique fossils from this assemblage. Unfortunately most of the old collecting areas are lost to development or overgrowth. It is really a shame that more people do not appeciate the importance of this and other sites.

Page 1 of this thread still wont load for me.... anyone any idea why?......

Thanks...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I have posted this on the Annelid thread but I would to show this Ebay purchased Rare articulated annelid with intact red coloured jaws from Mazon Creek...

Can anyone ID this worm? I am not familiar with the fauna of Mazon Creek as this is my first fossil from this area. PL

post-2446-12616921707519_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12616922926066_thumb.jpg

Thanks...

It loads fine for me, Terry. I am using FireFox though....if you are using IE that could be the problem.

Nice worm Pleecan, he has a nice set of chompers too. ;)

Thanks everyone for your kind remarks.... and yes page one loads fine on MS Internet Explorer browser version 8. PL

Hi Pleecan,

that's a nice worm, and those mandibles are super cool. They are throwing me on the ID, though.

He appears to be Dryptoscolex matthiesae: "Elongated, large-bodied species, total length 2-10cm, 30 to 52 segments. Proboscis eversible; four stout, triangular-shaped jaws present (usually only two visible), each with 6 to 8 teeth along inner margin and hook near distal outer margin, proximal margin with 2 equal-sized lobes. Thompson (1979) suggested that D. matthiesae might have been an epifaunal predator."

It's the absence of hooks on the mandible tips that makes me question this ID. Otherwise, it matches up pretty good.

Tim

Hi Pleecan,

that's a nice worm, and those mandibles are super cool. They are throwing me on the ID, though.

He appears to be Dryptoscolex matthiesae: "Elongated, large-bodied species, total length 2-10cm, 30 to 52 segments. Proboscis eversible; four stout, triangular-shaped jaws present (usually only two visible), each with 6 to 8 teeth along inner margin and hook near distal outer margin, proximal margin with 2 equal-sized lobes. Thompson (1979) suggested that D. matthiesae might have been an epifaunal predator."

It's the absence of hooks on the mandible tips that makes me question this ID. Otherwise, it matches up pretty good.

Tim

Thanks Tim! The discription is very plausible. Could be an "old timer" with worn out teeth thus missing the hooks at the ends. PL

Thanks...

Just a side note, it loads pretty darn nice on Safari 4.0.4 too! :P