Agatized Aturia Angustata

CH4ShotCaller

Heavily weathered nautiloid, Aturia, from the lower Oligocene marine sediments of Washington state. Agatized. Some prep work, too fragile to expose further. 

20200731_115301.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Lovely colors on this, Scott!  :wub: 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 hours ago, CH4ShotCaller said:

Heavily weathered nautiloid, Aturia, from the lower Oligocene marine sediments of Washington state. Agatized. Some prep work, too fragile to expose further. 

Scott,

I love these.  I have managed to pick up 2 or 3 from an (unnamed) friend who used to hunt there. If you just happen to have an extra one you don't need, let me know.  

Your is not only pretty, but very large... This one is about the size of a quarter.  How large have you found one?

Aturia.jpg.577f75039c3427fe279c8ff89a1c0dbf.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

20 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Scott,

I love these.  I have managed to pick up 2 or 3 from an (unnamed) friend who used to hunt there. If you just happen to have an extra one you don't need, let me know.  

Your is not only pretty, but very large... This one is about the size of a quarter.  How large have you found one?

Aturia.jpg.577f75039c3427fe279c8ff89a1c0dbf.jpg

Biggest about 9 inches across,  but heavily weathered and 'sticky'.

• I found this Informative 2

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

2 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Lovely colors on this, Scott!  :wub: 

Thanks Tim, I got more coming in the weeks ahead. Trying to find the time to prep is difficult. 

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Nice find, Scott! On another note, I was just reminded of an unfortunate interaction I had with a guy on the TFF facebook group (gulp) that collects lots of agatized Aturia from beaches/riverbanks in the PNW and he had these "baby Aturia" specimens under 2mm diameter which were pretty clearly rotaliid foraminifera, and when I gently suggested that those were probably coiled-shelled forams, oh man he went ape. I even did a bit of reading and informed him that Aturia were likely no smaller than about a centimeter or so at hatching (+/- a couple mm) and pointed out that his 'baby Aturia' had a different suture pattern. He refused to concede that foraminifera could have coiled shells, he'd been finding these for decades and knew more than I ever would, yada yada yada. Not sure if you've met this person, I'm still surprised at how violently he reacted. No amount of bedside manner is enough for some folks!

You can't always convince people who's mind is already made up with facts!!

Cephalopods rule!!

8 hours ago, Boesse said:

Nice find, Scott! On another note, I was just reminded of an unfortunate interaction I had with a guy on the TFF facebook group (gulp) that collects lots of agatized Aturia from beaches/riverbanks in the PNW and he had these "baby Aturia" specimens under 2mm diameter which were pretty clearly rotaliid foraminifera, and when I gently suggested that those were probably coiled-shelled forams, oh man he went ape. I even did a bit of reading and informed him that Aturia were likely no smaller than about a centimeter or so at hatching (+/- a couple mm) and pointed out that his 'baby Aturia' had a different suture pattern. He refused to concede that foraminifera could have coiled shells, he'd been finding these for decades and knew more than I ever would, yada yada yada. Not sure if you've met this person, I'm still surprised at how violently he reacted. No amount of bedside manner is enough for some folks!

Wow! I always got an open mind and have absorbed tons of information from professionals and hobbyists. But my arms cross and become closed minded when it turns to arguing. I get enough of that at home. Wait.. did I say that? Also, you just solved another mystery. I didn't know about foraminifera, I found one stuck to the outside of a concretion years ago, around 2mm. I thought it was an odd shell fragment. Thanks again Bobby, I'm 'listening'.

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

2 more Aturia from the same location, one deflated and the other with nice patterns. 

20200804_112950.jpg

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Same state, but all I find are river rock.. :shrug: But then I work nights & have no car, so that may have a bit to do with it. lol Those really are quite beautiful. 

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

19 hours ago, Boesse said:

good god that one on the right is beautiful

My next hunt in a week or 2, I'll be on the lookout for 'keepers' to send you.

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif