Fossil ID? Found in central NJ

Neec

Hello all, I've been lurking here for about a month. I found something I can't identify for sure... I was told it looks like a fossilized turtle shell? I was wondering if anyone could provide me with any specifics.. thank you :)

IMG_20200731_180732.jpg

Welcome to the forum! Could you please take a pic from the top and bottom of the object? I will tag @frankh8147 @Trevor @The Jersey Devil who are member who fossilhunt N.J. regularly. They may know what this is. It looks interesting. Also what is the size of this object?

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

17 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Welcome to the forum! Could you please take a pic from the top and bottom of the object? I will tag @frankh8147 @Trevor @The Jersey Devil who are member who fossilhunt N.J. regularly. They may know what this is. It looks interesting. Also what is the size of this object?

its about 4cm in length

IMG_20200731_212835.thumb.jpg.7216c44379917b2dd52b3fd25374fa47.jpg

Could we have more photos especially of the side with the bumps? Also need a scale

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

26 minutes ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Could we have more photos especially of the side with the bumps? Also need a scale

Yes, sorry I'm having some trouble getting good photos. I will post more tomorrow when I have access to sunlight and I will post next to a ruler!

14 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

IMG_20200801_125000.jpg

2 hours ago, Neec said:

IMG_20200801_125000.jpg

Interesting find. Never seen anything like that. Does it feel dense/mineralized?

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

1 hour ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Interesting find. Never seen anything like that. Does it feel dense/mineralized?

Hmm. I wish I could give you a certain answer. I don't think I have enough experience to say.. sorry :/

I, too, and pretty darned stumped. It sure looks like bone, but of what?? Was this found in the Cretaceous deposits?

9 hours ago, Carl said:

I, too, and pretty darned stumped. It sure looks like bone, but of what?? Was this found in the Cretaceous deposits?

Yes, it was found in Ramanessin Brook! 

10 minutes ago, Neec said:

Yes, it was found in Ramanessin Brook! 

Wow... Whatever that is it's very interesting and probably important.

12 minutes ago, Carl said:

Wow... Whatever that is it's very interesting and probably important.

Maybe I will try to get it identified by a museum

2 minutes ago, Neec said:

Maybe I will try to get it identified by a museum

I highly recommend seeing Dave Parris at the New Jersey State Museum.

I agree with everyone else, this is a very interesting mystery. Please get this checked out.:look:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

10 hours ago, Darktooth said:

I agree with everyone else, this is a very interesting mystery. Please get this checked out.:look:

I will and I'll post an update once I have one!

I would recommend showing it to the museum too but here is my best guess 

Plesiosaur verts have two holes on one side and one on the other. If it were broken right there and had some stream wear, it may look like your piece. I'm saying this because the texture just looks Plesi to me.

Again, I do recommend showing it to the museum in case it's something rarer!

• I found this Informative 2

Really odd fossil... I too would be interested in finding out what this is. Though I agree with @frankh8147 in that the piece looks a lot like bone and the flat surface kind of reminds me of a plesiosaur vertebra as well, I think the inner vacuities of the fossil are too big and too linearly aligned to truly represent the inner texture of a plesiosaur bone. Below images show two halved plesiosaurid vertebrae for comparison. Seeing as the irregular overall shape of the fossil and the long, channel-like tubes running its length, however, my best guess would be plant-matter, fossilised wood - or something similar...

5f292c02ca349_pair-of-sectioned-reptile-vertebrae-faringdon-oxfordshire.-4-4320-p.jpg.6c17203b549b15851d3ef4ba7bb58304.jpg5f292c040e97c_pair-of-sectioned-reptile-vertebrae-faringdon-oxfordshire.-5-4320-p.jpg.2e44de0121cb28ff9659eaf604beff4a.jpg

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

My first instinct was plesiosaur, but then I convinced myself it was more complete of a bone.  Looking again after a few days, I think Frank is correct.  An unusual fracture and then subsequent abrasion make it into quite an unusual shape.  

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

• 2 weeks later...