Fossil ID? Found in central NJ

Neec

Doesn’t look like Plesiosaur vert to me

If it was an abraded vert,

1) it would have more of the more porous inside exposed on certain edges

2) there are too many seemingly finished edges present to be a split vert

3) the outline of the outside of the specimen would be more ambiguous/random, not like a pattern of the three lobes that can be observed

It is some type of reptile bone though.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

8 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Doesn’t look like Plesiosaur vert to me

If it was an abraded vert,

1) it would have more of the more porous inside exposed on certain edges

2) there are too many seemingly finished edges present to be a split vert

3) the outline of the outside of the specimen would be more ambiguous/random, not like a pattern of the three lobes that can be observed

It is some type of reptile bone though.

Well worded, and I agree. To me this also doesn't look like a plesiosaur vertebra. I can't offer what else it may be though, and certainly can't imagine what part this could be if from another marine reptile. Of course skull bone is a good lumper for oddly shaped bones. But this piece looks too thick for that. Nor does it remind me of mosasaur of plesiosaur skulls I've seen. Hence my proposal that may be we're dealing with plant-matter, as this can occasionally look very similar to bone.

• I found this Informative 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett