Dimitris

Neogene fossils in the Greek Island of Kythera

Ludwigia

Thanks for the trip report. Looks like a great place to visit!

Monica

Interesting story re: the area!  It looks like a beautiful place to visit - thanks for sharing!

Tidgy's Dad

Beautiful location and interesting report, my friend. :)

digit

Thanks for showing us fossils from a part of the world that is much better known for its (much more recent) antiquities. :)

We found Greece to be a wonderful place to visit and the food delicious. We did see our share of temples and other ruins while touring the islands and the Peloponnese peninsula. The only fossils we spotted on that trip were part of weathering limestone composing the blocks of a ruin that we visited.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/75099-museum-of-prehistoric-thera-greece/&do=findComment&comment=793352

Cheers.

-Ken

Dimitris
3 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Thanks for the trip report. Looks like a great place to visit!

Thanks! Indeed the place is beautiful and unspoilt compared to other tourism exploited areas. 

3 hours ago, Monica said:

Interesting story re: the area!  It looks like a beautiful place to visit - thanks for sharing!

Ideal place for couples and families. If you ever find yourself in S. Greece and you have 3-4days spare its a must. You need a car though, zero public transport. 

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Beautiful location and interesting report, my friend. :)

Thanks Adam, there is a high chance to follow up on this post in October, since the possibility of Morocco is shrinking close to zero now :shakehead:

1 hour ago, digit said:

Thanks for showing us fossils from a part of the world that is much better known for its (much more recent) antiquities. :)

We found Greece to be a wonderful place to visit and the food delicious. We did see our share of temples and other ruins while touring the islands and the Peloponnese peninsula. The only fossils we spotted on that trip were part of weathering limestone composing the blocks of a ruin that we visited.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/75099-museum-of-prehistoric-thera-greece/&do=findComment&comment=793352

Cheers.

-Ken

Hello Ken! Nice report from Thira! I recently saw a similar article for these olives, awesome preservation. 

You will not find many reports for fossils in Greece for many reasons. 

Many publications are written in Greek. Fossil is called απολιθωμα. Combine this word with location and you may see more. 

Greek scientists avoid to share publicly so that the locations are not looted, like it happened with many artifacts currently displayed in UK and Louvre. 

Fossils in Greece are protected under the same law as archeological artifacts. This means extraction and sale is forbidden. The law is not enforced for not protected areas (Like the fossilised forest of Lesvos). Moreover, there are mineral shops that sell fossils from Greece. Technically, these are not legal as well. Responsible collecting will never put you in trouble of course. 

Since you are familiar with Peloponnese, some worthy locations are  

1. Epidaurus (Currently private property and formation covered by soil under oil orchard) and Ligourio for triassic ammonites 

2. Aghios Nikolaos fossilised Palm forest in Messinia (close to Neapoli) Protected

3. Close to the medieval fortress of Methoni. Eocene bivalves, a family friend gifted to me when I was child. 

4. Islands of Hydra and Spetses triassic formation. Although the islands belong to the administration of Athens, the formation's age is the same as Epidaurus. 

5. Island of Kythera. Apart from what I reported, there are references for mammals. 

6. Close to Epidaurus there is a creek rich in Cenozoic mammals. 

7. The canal of Korinth, built late 19 century, has exposed many Cenozoic marine fossils. Technically impossible to search there, however the same limestone can be seen near the village of Isthmia. 

Plus more locations mentioned in Paleodb, though you will need to know the language to narrow down the location.