Dolphin Humerus

brett.w.green

Found August 1st in Calvert Cliffs State Park in Maryland. Found digging around in deposits about 4 feet into the water. Area is known for Miocene fossils... Sharks teeth, vertebrae, whale bone, etc.

It is definitely stone not some kind of metal.

PSX_20200801_223233.jpg

PSX_20200801_223127.jpg

Edited by brett.w.green
typo

Hi There,

Not the best photos for identifying the object .. but on the face of it, it looks like an ironstone concretion or phosphate nodule. Though with that thin shape on one side I'd lean towards ironstone or something similar.

Cheers,

Brett

PS. I love this site for it's varied examples of Iron-Oxide concretions .. in all shapes and sizes. https://sites.wustl.edu/meteoritesite/items/concretions/

Thanks. I thought it could be a concretion but you know how the imagination gets you. There were definitely iron chunks all over. That site shows just how deceptive those iron concretions can be!

8 hours ago, brett.w.green said:

you know how the imagination gets you.

That we do! But much better to have picked up a rock than to have missed a fossil :)

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason