North Carolina Fossil Formations

SerratedTeeth

Okay so I have a couple of questions regarding fossil formations in Eastern North Carolina. In recent years I have been hunting for shark teeth in rivers and creeks of North Carolina. Occasionally we will come across deeply cut banks with exposed layers containing tightly packed shell material. I’m curious as to what this formation is called, as well as if this contains fossils such as shark, fish etc. If it does not, what layer does contain these fossils, and is it located above or below the above mentioned layer? I’ve been researching this however, the shell formation I mentioned is the only layer that I can recognize as containing fossils. What do the different formations look like? Just trying to get pointed in the right direction! Thanks guys.

Depends exactly where you are (which you don’t have to divulge here). What type of shark teeth are you finding? Also, what do the shells look like? Some of them are only known from certain to me periods, so they can help us narrow it down :)

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I find a wide variety which is the issue I have been having with identifying formation. If found anything from megs (very worn) to extinct giant whites, modern whites and tigers and more. It seems like the most common shell I find is chesapecten (at least I believe that’s what it is).

0D1FE533-6DCC-4F4D-BE09-74A8DF1CFFC6.jpeg

19 minutes ago, SerratedTeeth said:

find a wide variety which is the issue I have been having with identifying formation. If found anything from megs (very worn) to extinct giant whites, modern whites and tigers and more. It seems like the most common shell I find is chesapecten (at least I believe that’s what it is).

Perfect! Sounds like the early Pliocene Yorktown Formation.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

8 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Perfect! Sounds like the early Pliocene Yorktown Formation.

Okay that's a good place I can start with. I will do some research on it more, but do you know of any good publications or informative sites regarding these formations? Really trying to learn how to identify which formation is which, as well as the types of fossils that come out of them so I can better plan trips in the future.

1 hour ago, SerratedTeeth said:

Okay that's a good place I can start with. I will do some research on it more, but do you know of any good publications or informative sites regarding these formations? Really trying to learn how to identify which formation is which, as well as the types of fossils that come out of them so I can better plan trips in the future.

Elasmo is pretty good, Anything about Lee creek is helpful (it has Pungo river and Lee creek fm if memory serves). Google Scholar is your friend. Great Whites evolve in the early Pliocene and Chesapecten jeffersonius usually means Yorktown FM. I’m happy to help if you have any further questions.

Edited by WhodamanHD
Typo
  • I found this Informative 1

Happy hunting,

Mason