Central Texas fossil hunt

Creek - Don

I took a advantage of the cool weather today (low 90's) and headed out to Central Texas near Waco.  This was first time hunting in the Texas Paw Paw formation ( The Paw Paw Formation is a geological formation in Texas whose strata date back to the late Albian stage of the Early Cretaceous. Dinosaur remains are among the fossils that have been recovered from the formation). 

I didn't find any dinosaurs :dinosmile:, but found plenty of ammos :ammonite01: on the cliff and in the creek bed.  

It was an interesting experience finding few ammonites.  Here are few photos that I snapped today.    

Beautiful day lower 90's.   

Pawpaw11.JPG

Creek water level is always low this time of the year. 

Pawpaw6.JPG

I found this complete ammo sticking out of the cliff. 

Pawpaw2.JPG

Typical Paw Paw formation. 

Pawpaw3.JPG

Got my trusty old tools out and hammering out the ammo. 

Pawpaw5.JPG

Other Ammos are in the creek bed, but badly worn. 

Pawpaw7.JPG

Got one out! 

Pawpaw9.JPG

Pawpaw8.JPG

Pawpaw10.JPG

• I found this Informative 11
  • Enjoyed 1

Are you sure that is Pawpaw?  The fm thins to 5 ft thick or less in that area, and is mapped undivided from that area south, where it quickly pinches out.  Maps can be deceiving in stream incised areas, with the actual outcrop being a formation or 2 below what is mapped above stream level.  You might compare your finds with Ft. Worth and Weno fauna as well.

Edit:  This does luck like Duck Creek now that I look closer at the ammos.  They look like Eos.  That zone is very persistent in some parts of Central and North TX.

• I found this Informative 4

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

2 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Are you sure that is Pawpaw?  The fm thins to 5 ft thick or less in that area, and is mapped undivided from that area south, where it quickly pinches out.  Maps can be deceiving in stream incised areas, with the actual outcrop being a formation or 2 below what is mapped above stream level.  You might compare your finds with Ft. Worth and Weno fauna as well.

Right on.  There are several formations nearby this creek.  There are Duck, Denton, Paw Paw/Wena, Alluvium, Fluviatile.  Basically this creek is either surrounded by Paw Paw by both sides or Duck /Denton/Fort Worth.  I just picked the one that was closest.   I'm thinking this maybe a duck creek since same sediments are very similar to duck creek formations at the Lake Texoma.  

Appears to be more like Duck Creek Fm.  The Pawpaw is primarily a marine deposit.  I've only heard of one dinosaur from that strata. 

Looks like a fun trip.

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

11 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Appears to be more like Duck Creek Fm.  The Pawpaw is primarily a marine deposit.  I've only heard of one dinosaur from that strata. 

Looks like a fun trip.

Thanks John!  It was fun.  

1 hour ago, BudB said:

Looks like fun. I do love finding ammonites.

Thanks.   I pulled these out of Waco Duck Creek formation.   Didn't quiet came out right on the left which broke off in half and other half still in the cliff.  

image.png.d0fef288d9bcf1a3f9cf554c956bb132.png

These are Lake Texoma Duck Creek formation which came out great.  

image.png.afd3e30f72fd5be5f78c5153aa842419.png

• 5 weeks later...

While visiting family in Hewitt, I am hoping to fossil hunt on a creek west of Waco and I need to find out if the creek bed and banks are public access?  Does the information here see correct to you who know central Texas?  Any advice will be welcome.

2 hours ago, KCMOfossil said:

While visiting family in Hewitt, I am hoping to fossil hunt on a creek west of Waco and I need to find out if the creek bed and banks are public access?  Does the information here see correct to you who know central Texas?  Any advice will be welcome.

Yes,  most are accessible to the public.  This was discussed many time. This thread has all the information you need. 

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Creek - Don said:

This thread has all the information you need. 

Thanks, Don, for the info and link.  This is just what I needed.

Russ