Tiouraren Formation tooth?

BonuFrailman

Hi everyone,

I saw this tooth online listed as a theropod tooth from the Tiouraren FM and was wondering what you all think about it.

From my knowledge, Kem Kem teeth can have white preservation too so that’s why I’m unsure about this tooth.

Tooth is supposedly from Tiouraren Formation of the Agaves region of Niger

Length is .74”

4743988B-7B5C-4AB2-A653-3749FE71436B.jpeg

31076AB6-92D4-41A7-8F61-61A2E8F3851A.jpeg

5A3D2232-52D0-4740-A257-24A7AEC9AB62.jpeg

AE16639C-0394-4C71-80B7-24BF17B83420.jpeg

The preservation looks like Tiouraren to me. I have a tooth from that formation and it looks quite similar. There are white Kem Kem teeth but I would think this is not. I am far from an expert though.

@Troodon is always a great resource for dino help and @Haravex knows the Niger fossils quite well.

• I found this Informative 1

The preservation does match other teeth I've seen from the Tiouraren Fm.  However thats no guarantee, you need to obtain a localiy where it was found.  Preservation is not always the best way to identify locality, it has its downside especially with a tooth fragment .  Its also recommended that you purchase material from someone that you trust and has knowledge of  Niger material.  You need to feel comfortable that the info you're getting is as good as it can be.

2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

The preservation does match other teeth I've seen from the Tiouraren Fm.  However thats no guarantee, you need to obtain a localiy where it was found.  Preservation is not always the best way to identify locality, it has its downside especially with a tooth fragment .  Its also recommended that you purchase material from someone that you trust and has knowledge of  Niger material.

Is locality referring to a specific place in the formation or, does that mean a city or town?

5 minutes ago, BonuFrailman said:

Is locality referring to a specific place in the formation or, does that mean a city or town?

Yes Niger is a big country.   It could be towns or Region like Agadez where the tooth was found..

3 hours ago, Troodon said:

Yes Niger is a big country.   It could be towns or Region like Agadez where the tooth was found..

The seller says he purchased it from a lot of Niger teeth. I've attached the picture he sent me but he says he doesn't know the locality besides that it's from Agadez. 

108999441_2686678391605749_7684780692487491647_n.jpg

Seeing its a group of teeth with similar preservation with locality I think its reasonable to say they are from that formation.

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

Seeing its a group of teeth with similar preservation with locality I think its reasonable to say they are from that formation.

Good to know, thanks for the help!:dinothumb: