Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Snaggle_tooth

When fossil hunting in Big Brook yesterday, I came across an ammonite fossil that was very well preserved for the area! It was multiple chambers put together! I'm just wondering if it is possible to tell the genus of the animal, any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!

-Snag

20200802_185732.jpg

20200802_185717.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Menunites to me. Here are some of mine from NJ for comparison.

 

20200803_075740.jpg

  • I found this Informative 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Snaggle_tooth
48 minutes ago, frankh8147 said:

Looks like Menunites to me. Here are some of mine from NJ for comparison.

 

20200803_075740.jpg

Thank you for the Info!

How does one identify a menunites ammonite? I cant find any information on this genus online, haha!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

I think he means Menuites as I know M. portlocki is found there or thereabouts. 

Nice find. :) 

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a good resource:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/1306089.pdf?casa_token=wDqAUCBlQt4AAAAA:Ys-qEZaG9PoNRNktqjBKaLzv9kvqJPDh5Ab25-aEl0S44nEQ7xslahIHbtsIKtVk4emEyYRo5DwZgrV6lP0bhalQdJo0tjKcJIUTh93YmSKf33nVFTA

 

Title: Ammonite Fauna from the Wenonah Formation (Upper Cretaceous) of New Jersey

 

For comparison, here are Menuities that I have found:

 

5f283ed2ec641_ScreenShot2020-08-03at1_43_48PM.thumb.png.e8dd86f77cc8f75bf3e154e411db633a.png

 

IMG_9347_edited.JPG.0dfcf7aa2f8180874dc3f53104fe6806.JPG

 

IMG_9349_edited.thumb.JPG.6d6eccf03bec96cc0579ac674e46b53f.JPG

 

 

  • I found this Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is my Menuites portlocki, which Darktooth found at Ram.  How does your ammonite compare?  Can we see a photo from the angle shown in my 2nd photo?  It may be an optical illusion, but I'm not sure your ammonite is coiled in a single plane.

 

Don

Menuites 1.jpg

Menuites 2.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

Here is my Menuites portlocki, which Darktooth found at Ram.  How does your ammonite compare?  Can we see a photo from the angle shown in my 2nd photo?  It may be an optical illusion, but I'm not sure your ammonite is coiled in a single plane.

 

Don

 

 

Was thinking the same thing, maybe chance Heteromorph. I need to see the inner side.

 

Here is Hetermorph I found at BB:

 

6F3948AB-F5CC-4577-AE10-AD9917BDF67F.thumb.jpeg.a0bd128855c6536c4ba51a18bdf98a78.jpeg

 

64E9DD27-73A1-4F3B-BC29-152958D0BDE7.thumb.jpeg.b4ad53a82accf5ca2b2793bbd429786f.jpeg

 

F3D0491F-67C3-424E-AE3F-D0B3E80F0D20.thumb.jpeg.6cc122774466987b830be127ecdde4ad.jpeg

 

 

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Snaggle_tooth
16 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Here is my Menuites portlocki, which Darktooth found at Ram.  How does your ammonite compare?  Can we see a photo from the angle shown in my 2nd photo?  It may be an optical illusion, but I'm not sure your ammonite is coiled in a single plane.

 

Don

Menuites 1.jpg

Menuites 2.jpg

It doesnt exactly appear to be coiled on a single plane it does appear to lean to the side slightly? Does this indicate it's a heteromorph genus, or does it indicate it is a pathological Menuites? 

Here are photos from angles I thought would be helpful! Thanks!

20200804_055733.jpg

20200804_055737.jpg

Edited by Snaggle_tooth
Adding information
Link to post
Share on other sites
Snaggle_tooth
14 hours ago, Trevor said:

 

Was thinking the same thing, maybe chance Heteromorph. I need to see the inner side.

 

Here is Hetermorph I found at BB:

 

6F3948AB-F5CC-4577-AE10-AD9917BDF67F.thumb.jpeg.a0bd128855c6536c4ba51a18bdf98a78.jpeg

 

64E9DD27-73A1-4F3B-BC29-152958D0BDE7.thumb.jpeg.b4ad53a82accf5ca2b2793bbd429786f.jpeg

 

F3D0491F-67C3-424E-AE3F-D0B3E80F0D20.thumb.jpeg.6cc122774466987b830be127ecdde4ad.jpeg

 

 

Mine does appear to resemble this one more, is that still a Menuites, just with a pathological curvature? Or is it a completely different genus?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Snaggle_tooth

After doing some searching of heteromorph ammonites from the area, I stumbled upon Nostoceras. It does resemble this heteromorph ammonite in its appearance, thoughts on it being Nostoceras? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...