Lobster, real or fake?

PrehistoricWonders

Hey, 

I was wondering if these were real or fake, they look off to me but I’m not by any means an expert, so I’d love some help! TIA

DCEA4764-72DA-4620-84D8-E07C42B43F0F.jpeg

They look like the lobster specimens that come from Indonesia.  There are at least 10 sellers selling these from Indonesia on Facebook so there are a lot of them.  I haven't purchased any so I can't comment on whether or not they are real.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Really, you sure?:heartylaugh:

thank you, for the insight I thought that they were fake but they’re way out of all fossils I’ve dealt with! TIA

@MarcoSr same, I haven’t purchased any so I wouldn’t know but there was someone interested and I don’t want them to buy something that’s not real!

They don't raise any red flags for me and if they are relatively common they would likely not be worth the effort to fake. There is always the issue of a dealer compositing multiple partial specimens into one "complete" one which would sell for more. Neither of the two shown above seem to show any obvious signs of being composites. 

Cheers.

-Ken

Not really my area either, but I'd have to say they look real. 

I'd certainly be interested. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Honestly, I've never examined one, for years I read complaints of fakes. But, a couple years ago, a collector from Australia had some that were real, not partial or modern pieces 'cemented' to look like fossils. I did see a grouping of them for sale and every one had the same display, same chips, cracked hinged dactyl and missing leg tip at one joint. That was obviously from a molded cast. I think RJB has some real ones, betting he'll shine some light on this subject. 

• I found this Informative 2

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Thanks for the insight. I know you crustacean concretion guys would be up on such things. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1