Dumb PaleoBOND stabilizer question

HemiHunter

I ordered one of those little 2 oz. bottles of PaleoBOND penetrant stabilizer to try out on a small rib fragment that's pretty fragile. For anybody who also uses this product, how are you supposed to open the bottle before attaching the microtip?  Do you just use a pin or something to puncture the little "nipple" that the microtip slides over? Also, once opened, does the microtip or the the bottle have to be sealed between uses so that it doesn't clog up?  I only got a few microtips with the bottle so I presume that they are are supposed to be re-usable.  Sorry to post this here but I cantacted PaleoBOND directly and they haven't gotten back to me yet.  Thanks!

I just use kitchen shears to nip the tip off the bottle.  If are going to use it often, (and not likely to knock it over) then leaving the applicator tip on is fine.  If the tip of that clogs, just cut it off or replace.  A word of warning, even though that applicator tip is tiny, it will still flow a lot of glue!  If you need to be careful about the amount, slowly tip it sideways, dont just turn it upside down.

Keep in mind, this stuff is a superglue.  If it gets on your skin it will bond instantly.  If it leaks out the bottom of where you are holding the fossil, you'll have a "permanent" fossil glued your hand / fingers. The good news is that if that happens, acetone will soften the glue very temporarily.  Use a tissue or paper towel to remove the tip and replace with the cap.  It can hold glue in there, and you dont want any surprises.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

I will usually hold the tip vertical and squeeze lightly to force the glue out of the tip (just like forcing air from a syringe) before taking it off. Wipe the excess up with a paper towel.

I cut the top with an X-acto knife to open it up.

Thanks! Very helpful.  I did finally get a call back this afternoon (their phones were down) and they explained how to handle the bottles, storage, etc.