Shark Tooth ID?

Bradley Flynn

So this tooth was found on the beach. Anyone able to help with ID? Thank you! 

IMG_20200804_094519.jpg

IMG_20200804_094232.jpg

IMG_20200804_094112.jpg

IMG_20200804_093721.jpg

Looks very similar to Sphyrna mokarran, the Great Hammerhead, but South Africa is outside the range for this shark. It looks modern.

• I found this Informative 2

We have these hammerheads on our coast Sphyrna zygeana, it seems like this tooth matches the bottom front. 

1 hour ago, Bradley Flynn said:

We have these hammerheads on our coast Sphyrna zygeana, it seems like this tooth matches the bottom front. 

Sphyrna zygeana usually doesn't have serrated blades.

• I found this Informative 1

So after doing some reading I have come to the conclusion that this is a modern bull shark tooth(Carcharhinus leucas) this tooth was found while collecting cowrie shells in Jeffrey's Bay. Bull sharks have been reported as far south as breede river estuary in the Western Cape, sometimes 5km or more up freshwater rivers. Anyway! Entertaining myself here...:DOH:

I'd agree with that conclusion, @Bradley Flynn. It looks like a modern, lower bull tooth, or at least Carcharhinus sp. Sweet find!

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Hello, its a lower Bull Shark tooth. 

Greetings from Germany

My collection of Uncommon extant shark teeth - Here

My collection of interesting rare shark jaws - Here