Bone Daddy

It's too hot to hunt in Florida

Bone Daddy

Just what the title says - it's too darn hot to hunt in Florida. This heat is brutal with "feels like" temps in the triple digits. If anyone is out there hunting in this, please be careful. Stay hydrated and use sunscreen. Heat stroke is deadly, so don't fool around with this heat.

I can't wait until late-fall and winter. 

fossilus

I know what you're talking about. I went hunting several weeks ago in se Texas. Temp was 101, heat index 110.  You can hardly drink fast enough. I had found several large chunks of fossilized bone that I almost left behind because of the effort to haul them to my truck.

I find when it's that hot you need around a pint or more of liquids plus electrolites every hour. Be sure to replace not just sodium but also potassium.

digit
56 minutes ago, fossilus said:

Be sure to replace not just sodium but also potassium.

Pack some salt & vinegar potato chips and bananas along with your bottles of water. ;)

Or stay inside in the A/C and pick though plates of micro-matrix under the microscope. :P

Stay safe out there.

Cheers.

-Ken

facehugger

We're right there with you in Texas, brother. I usually quit hunting from June to September unless a freakish cool front rolls through...

During my last hunt in mid-June, I realized by the afternoon I was exerting more willpower and energy trying to stay conscious than look for fossils. Don't want to add my bones to the gravel bars just yet.

Bone Daddy

I could handle the heat a lot better when I was younger. I am losing my tolerance for it as I get older and it doesn't help matters that every summer seems hotter than the last.

It's that kind of heat that sucks the life right out of you. People talk a lot about Florida beaches in the summer, but frankly it's too darn hot for the beach. Unless you are in the water, that sand is like the surface of a hot frying pan. The sun is relentless and beats up your head even when you are swimming. It's just no fun being out in that for any length of time...... is there an emoji of an old man shaking his cane at the sky? LOL.

:SunFace::Sweating:

hamman88

Yep, when it was dry and cool, the virus had everything closed, so fossil trips.  Now things are open, and I can't even mow the lawn its so hot...

jcbshark

While it is cooking out there Mike sometimes I find good reasons to suffer the heat :)

5603F86E-0F58-48A4-ADA4-C3316152DEC6.jpeg

jcbshark

42230FDA-A951-4A59-BF79-0E0282194EBC.jpeg

jcbshark

These are all in the last three weekends 

E4C09F5A-0C80-4FA8-8DBB-61B1E4A4DAB6.jpeg

Shellseeker

Jeff is the man in South_Central Florida.  When he is "on", he is impossible to beat!!!  and right now, things are running good for him. :yay-smiley-1::thumbsu:. That is high praise from someone who is no slouch in lucky fossil hunting finds.

jcbshark
9 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Jeff is the man in South_Central Florida.  When he is "on", he is impossible to beat!!!  and right now, things are running good for him. :yay-smiley-1::thumbsu:. That is high praise from someone who is no slouch in lucky fossil hunting finds.

Thank you Jack, when ever We have a stretch of less than stellar hunts I know we’ll be turning that bend before too long and find what we spend our time trying to find :thumbsu: and that’s why we keep at it!

RescueMJ

Your quote is PERFECT.  I live off of River Rd in Venice.  I have been out searching in this HOTTT weather.  Recovering matrix with fossils inside to work on at Christmas.  My garage is too hot now.  Just want to say hi. I saw above re: meg teeth.  I have recovered more perfect teeth out of North Port than I ever did at the beaches.

I am asking for advice on what chemical adhesive to use on some dugong ribs to harden them before I clear more matrix away. I want to keep it simple. Butvar B-72, B-76? I also saw some paraloid B-72 glue in 1 ounce containers. 

IMG_7870.jpg

IMG_7869.jpg

Bone Daddy
22 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Jeff finds more megs in a single season than I have found in my entire fossil-hunting career so far.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit jealous. We don't have any good dry land sites near Tampa without driving to Bone Valley. I wish we had some closer places to hunt.

Bone Daddy
7 hours ago, RescueMJ said:

Your quote is PERFECT.  I live off of River Rd in Venice.  I have been out searching in this HOTTT weather.  Recovering matrix with fossils inside to work on at Christmas.  My garage is too hot now.  Just want to say hi. I saw above re: meg teeth.  I have recovered more perfect teeth out of North Port than I ever did at the beaches.

I am asking for advice on what chemical adhesive to use on some dugong ribs to harden them before I clear more matrix away. I want to keep it simple. Butvar B-72, B-76? I also saw some paraloid B-72 glue in 1 ounce containers. 

IMG_7870.jpg

IMG_7869.jpg

Nice find. You don't see dugong ribs in the matrix nearly as often as you find them loose. I'd leave them in the matrix and use it as a display prop. I've found hundreds and hundreds of loose dugong ribs, but only a small handful still encased in the matrix material. That big chunk you have looks like a concretion of some sort. It is tempting to wonder what else might be inside. Yeah, that's a tough one. I'd be torn on what to do with it.  :)

FloridaLemonShark13
On 8/4/2020 at 12:18 PM, digit said:

Pack some salt & vinegar potato chips and bananas along with your bottles of water. ;)

Or stay inside in the A/C and pick though plates of micro-matrix under the microscope. :P

Stay safe out there.

Cheers.

-Ken

MICRO MATRIX AHAHAHHAHAHAH good one bro