Got wood?

butchndad

Hello

watching the trees dancing in the near hurricane winds and of course am daydreaming about sharking (as my wife calls it)

i occasionally pick up a piece and hopeful but unsure if it’s a fossil, bring it home only to see when it dries out that it’s just a piece of wood. 

Ive kept a couple and the 3rd photo I still think may be a piece of modern poop. 

Anyone else keeping wood?

2149FAA0-907C-4758-85A2-E7EDE4FC11F6.jpeg

9BA0E207-FF08-48B2-8F61-739567423312.jpeg

It looks like some of it is actually lignite, a type of unstable fossil wood

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

5 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

thank you.  It's crumbling and falling apart.  is there an easy way to preserve it?

13 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

and now that you say that i remember that my hands had a chemical smell after i held it.  Thanks again

24 minutes ago, butchndad said:

and now that you say that i remember that my hands had a chemical smell after i held it.  Thanks again

There is no easy way.

The best way to stabilize the lignite is with PEG (polyethylene glycol) http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/19304-preserving-lignite-fossils-with-polyethylene-glycol/

The other problem is the unstable form of pyrite (what you are smelling), likely marcasite. A lot of the pyrite tends to be stable, but larger pieces like that are usually not the stable form (the metallic smell is an indicator of an ongoing reaction).

To counteract it, you need to apply something that isolates it from the oxygen and moisture in air. I use Paraloid for that. I haven't tried applying paraloid to a specimen with PEG in it yet, but it should work.

Keep the lignite submerged in water until you PEG it.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal