Folly Beach after the storm

fossilnoggin

Down here on vacation and decided to try Folly Beach early yesterday morning while the kids slept.   We had rough surf from the storm and thought maybe it would kick up some interesting stuff. I spent two hours combing the beach and didn’t find a single tooth. Not even a tiny one.  Lots of modern day shells  washed up so I picked up just a few.  The only fossils I find were some unidentifiable bone fragments.  Many people were looking for teeth, and a few that I spoke to also didn’t find any teeth.  

My family and I are down here for a little while longer and I’d love to venture out and try to find some teeth. We have access to kayaks.  If anyone can make a suggestion, please pm.  Thank you.  

From the research I've done, a major storm can either leave the beach absolutely bountiful or suck everything back into the ocean. It can go both ways. 

No suggestions, I'm not from the area. Hopefully locals can weigh into this

First, it depends where you are on the island: I've found that northeast of the washout, and southwest of the County park boundary, the fossils are nonexistent.

Second, it depends upon whether the storm erodes or deposits. Hurricane Irma had eroded quite a bit, but only large fossils were present - so we found lots of whale chunks and a couple of megalodon teeth, but fewer smaller teeth. After Hurricane Dorian, perhaps 10-20 cm of sand had been deposited onto the beach instead of eroded, which buried all the fossils for a couple of weeks.

I was out on Morris Island yesterday, and basically all the fossils and the beach sand had been eroded away.

• I found this Informative 4