Turiasaurus riodevensis tooth?

Dinocollector

Hi again!

I see this tooth and I will try to get it.

The owner told me that It’s from Riodeva, Teruel (Spain)

I read some articles and the id seems correct... What do you think?

I read too that spanish fossils are forbidden, Can I have any problem?

Thanks!

8F41357D-39B6-46AD-91EC-84D2C2776059.jpeg

4CBEA549-1EE0-4C4F-BBBE-FB9CE97E6152.jpeg

Edited by Dinocollector

You mean T. riodevensis

The tooth very much resemblance the morphology of that sauropod.   Here is where you need to know and trust your seller and feel confortable with the locality given.   I say that because similar morphologies of Turiasauria type teeth are found across europe: France, Portugal, UK and countries like Madagascar .    I believe Spanish laws prohibit the sale of Dinosaur material.

2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

You mean T. riodevensis

The tooth very much resemblance the morphology of that sauropod.   Here is where you need to know and trust your seller and feel confortable with the locality given.   I say that because similar morphologies of Turiasauria type teeth are found across europe: France, Portugal, UK.    I believe Spanish laws prohibit sale of Dinosaur material.

Yes sorry... it was my mistake I change The name...

The tooth It’s not in Spain now...

I can get more photos.

Yes, some Madagascar sauropod teeth are similar too, for that I do not know the differences...

So can be right the id? 
Thank you so much for your help.

There are no differences its all about the locality provided why you need to trust the seller.  Additional photos are not necessary 

8 minutes ago, Troodon said:

There are no differences its all about the locality provided why you need to trust the seller.  Additional photos are not necessary 

Got it! Thanks!

I actually used to own this tooth a while ago, it is from Cherves, France (Early Cretaceous - Berriasian), not Spain. And yes, it is Turiasauria indet. (to my knowledge no species had been described from there)

The Tooth Fairy

1 hour ago, Anomotodon said:

I actually used to own this tooth a while ago, it is from Cherves, France (Early Cretaceous - Berriasian), not Spain. And yes, it is Turiasauria indet. (to my knowledge no species had been described from there)

Thank you so much! The owner told me that he bought it like French Turiasauria but some paleontologist told him that it was from Spain. I do the same and I asked some French palentologist and they told me that the shape and color looks like Spanish Turiasairia... 

Hi Dinocollector! Pretty sure that such sauropod tooth come neither from France nor from Portugal so my guess is that it is spanish. Having said that, it looks like turiasaurid. 

Spanish dino material is extremely rare and collecting or sale is forbidden and prosecuted under spanish laws.

1 hour ago, gms said:

Hi Dinocollector! Pretty sure that such sauropod tooth come neither from France nor from Portugal so my guess is that it is spanish. Having said that, it looks like turiasaurid. 

Spanish dino material is extremely rare and collecting or sale is forbidden and prosecuted under spanish laws.

The tooth certainly has the features of a turiasaurid tooth but curious why do you believe its from Spain

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

The tooth certainly has the features of a turiasaurid tooth but curious why do you believe its from Spain

Is just my guess...the colour of the tooth and the sediment at the base of the crown remains me the turiasaurid teeth i've seen in several museums of Spain. 

20 minutes ago, gms said:

Is just my guess...the colour of the tooth and the sediment at the base of the crown remains me the turiasaurid teeth i've seen in several museums of Spain. 

Thanks I can see why you are saying that since it does match the ones in the publication.  The   dilemma I have is that one of my  French sauropod tooth from Charente has that orange color at the base.  Also several of my Portuguese Turiasaurid teeth from Serra do Bouro locality are similar.   Tough call why the provenance is the most important piece of information that can be obtained why buying a tooth.  

3 hours ago, gms said:

Hello! Great!

Thank you so much. So for you It’s spanish... but very similar with The french and Portugal one like Troodon said.

8 hours ago, Dinocollector said:

Thank you so much! The owner told me that he bought it like French Turiasauria but some paleontologist told him that it was from Spain. I do the same and I asked some French palentologist and they told me that the shape and color looks like Spanish Turiasairia... 

I was fairly certain of the locality info on this tooth, since I acquired it from a French collector who had a lot of other Cherves-de-Cognac material. Turiasauria are known from this locality, as well as many other localities in Europe during Early Cretaceous.

Anyways, provenance is NOT something you can guess based on just looking at the tooth, whether you are a paleontologist or not. Color or sediment type could vary within each location. Shape-wise - it’s a classic Turiasaur, I have not encountered any publications describing how to differentiate different species of this clade based on teeth. I don't think there are known skull elements of this group, so positional variation is another thing to consider. And even if there was such a way, it does not always mean you can deduce provenance from identification especially if two localities in question are located so close to each other. So, I trust the initial information on this tooth and really do not see a reason to invent something.

• I found this Informative 2

The Tooth Fairy

1 hour ago, Anomotodon said:

I was fairly certain of the locality info on this tooth, since I acquired it from a French collector who had a lot of other Cherves-de-Cognac material. Turiasauria are known from this locality, as well as many other localities in Europe during Early Cretaceous.

Anyways, provenance is NOT something you can guess based on just looking at the tooth, whether you are a paleontologist or not. Color or sediment type could vary within each location. Shape-wise - it’s a classic Turiasaur, I have not encountered any publications describing how to differentiate different species of this clade based on teeth. I don't think there are known skull elements of this group, so positional variation is another thing to consider. And even if there was such a way, it does not always mean you can deduce provenance from identification especially if two localities in question are located so close to each other. So, I trust the initial information on this tooth and really do not see a reason to invent something.

Thank you so much for your answer. First at all I do not invent... Like I said the first Id was a French Turiasaur. But some paleontologist in France museums told me that the tooth it’s not from Cherves and it seems like Spanish tooth.

They had the tooth in their hands years ago.

I just wanted to know that the opinions on this forum were the same to be completely sure.

By the way one thing is for sure, it is a Turiasaur tooth from Europe.

Thank you so much for your help and opinion!