Found this in my garden, I think it's a bone?

julie111

Hello,

I am new here, but very happy to find this forum. I found this rock while digging in my garden. I am in Ontario, Canada, close to the shores of lake huron. It may be nothing, but this rock looks like it is part of a petrified bone. I would love for some insight.

rock 2.jpg

rock5.jpg

Sorry. I don't think this is bone.

Rock which oolites dissolved out from leaving the holes would be a guess as to how it formed.

• I found this Informative 1

It doesn't feel sticky at all when I touch with wet fingers, if that helps. It looks like 2 different types of rocks together, the normal rock, and the "bone" texture inside of it.

Welcome from just east of you where the 402 ends.

Your area is Devonian in age, predominantly Kettle Point Fm (there is some dispute over the particulars of this formation), with some Hamilton Group rocks in a pocket around Petrolia. 

That being said, this doesn't have the look of the Kettle Point / Ipperwash shale sequence, suggesting this is likely a glacial erratic. 

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

8 hours ago, julie111 said:

It doesn't feel sticky at all when I touch with wet fingers, if that helps. It looks like 2 different types of rocks together, the normal rock, and the "bone" texture inside of it.

Many times (dry)  fossil bone will feel sticky if you touch it with wet fingers (or the tip of your tongue), but it depends on the fossilization process, so isn't always a good indicator.