Jump to content
Trevor

NJ Late Cretaceous: Micros 01

Recommended Posts

hokietech96

This is a great post!  Great pictures!  I wish I brought matrix home from all my trips in the fall/winter. I plan on doing it when I eventually get back out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Jersey Devil

Neat micros.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BigKen

Thumbs up.  
 

The last time I was at Post Oak Creek in North Texas (which passes through similar-aged marine strata as Big Brook) over a month ago, I spent my last ten minutes in the creek shoveling matrix onto my strainer, giving it a quick rinse, and dumping it into my bucket to bring home  Now, every time I have a few free minutes, I dig a handful of matrix out of the bucket to sort through, and every handful reveals at least one cool thing (and sometimes two or three).  Yet, after a month of doing that, it seems like there is more gravel in that bucket now than when I started.  I think it is multipilying.  At the rate I am going, it is going to last until I am 90 years old which means your stash is likely to not only get you through to Christmas but probably through the year and probably right through the rest of your degree AND your Master Degree. AND maybe even part way through your PHD.

 

Anyway, enjoy!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frankh8147

Awesome!! Keep up the good work and research!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bob-ay

Amazing work! Real cool to see the NJ Micros!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jeffrey P

That's an amazing micro collection Trevor! You must have found quite the rich layer. Congrats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jerseygurl

Love this!   The fact that you wrote a Python script to auto-format photos is great.  Good luck at school!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
butchndad

great work

what is the magnification of the "jewelers loupe" in photo #2 and do you recommend it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Trevor
40 minutes ago, butchndad said:

great work

what is the magnification of the "jewelers loupe" in photo #2 and do you recommend it?

 

I have a 30x and 10x lens. I cannot recall where I got them, but they were priced well. Overall, I think having a 10x lens is worth it for occasional inspection of bones and micros. There doesn't seem much difference to me between the two I have. If you don't have one, I would recommend getting one but not one that is very expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DPS Ammonite
48 minutes ago, butchndad said:

great work

what is the magnification of the "jewelers loupe" in photo #2 and do you recommend it?

BelOMO make a

very good one, 10 x triplex,

that is recommended by many geology and biology departments. Make sure that you get a landyard.

 

I use another high quality brand, B and L Hastings Triplex loupe, with my phone camera to get good close up shots.
 

https://www.amateurgeologist.com/belomo-10x-triplet-loupe-magnifier.html

 

6BCB96E7-2725-4E86-9B64-E4896584DDC6.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
butchndad
3 hours ago, Trevor said:

 

I have a 30x and 10x lens. I cannot recall where I got them, but they were priced well. Overall, I think having a 10x lens is worth it for occasional inspection of bones and micros. There doesn't seem much difference to me between the two I have. If you don't have one, I would recommend getting one but not one that is very expensive.

 

3 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

BelOMO make a

very good one, 10 x triplex,

that is recommended by many geology and biology departments. Make sure that you get a landyard.

 

I use another high quality brand, B and L Hastings Triplex loupe, with my phone camera to get good close up shots.
 

https://www.amateurgeologist.com/belomo-10x-triplet-loupe-magnifier.html

 

6BCB96E7-2725-4E86-9B64-E4896584DDC6.jpeg

thank you both.  Loupe already ordered

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PaleoNoel

Nice finds! I gotta bring back some matrix next time I hunt in the brooks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×