An exciting micro find if you are a total shark nerd

fossilsonwheels

I starting going through what will be my last round in the ring with the micro fossils from Genundewa. These Middle Devonian fossils from New York have been so much fun and provided many lessons. I have been hunting primitive and elusive shark remains. I have lost or broken a few. There have been no complete teeth but I absolutely had a blast and learned a lot. 

This evening I found a really nifty articulated group of 3 shark denticles with what appears to be some sort of connective tissue or something. I am certain these denticles are not grouped together via fossilization but rather a natural cluster. It’s tiny but it is a nifty 365 million year old piece of shark. In the first photo it is the largest dot lol I will be getting better pictures next week. 

I also found another piece that I will be photographing more closely. It is definitely different from the other fossils. My first thought was a small piece of skull but I really don’t know. It is not conodont. It is not a tooth. It is not a denticle. Whatever it is, it is something I have not encountered in this formation. It’s the largest dot in the second picture. 

The third pic is a nice Omalodus tooth. 

Not bad way to wrap up this formation. Time to get onto the next location. Not sure yet what is next but I sure did enjoy the many hours spent exploring Devonian sharks and Conodonts. 

1291AA6A-FCA9-4A53-8716-DBD6E3AD640D.jpeg

25B0AAD4-4D75-4DF9-9D40-12A4B308174D.jpeg

55B56F71-BBA2-4600-8CFC-D422335EE2AA.jpeg

• I found this Informative 8

Cool. :cool07:

Devonian shark material is rarely seen here! 

Thanks for posting this.  :) 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Very interesting, congrats!  :thumbsu:

Thank you. It was a great formation to pick through. 

3 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Cool. :cool07:

Devonian shark material is rarely seen here! 

Thanks for posting this.  :) 

Hopefully we will see more in the future. The early sharks are so fascinating. 

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

Very cool, tiny buggers

Very cool and very tiny Frank. Also extremely fragile and a challenge to handle for me lol