Where to find Pin vise needles

Misha

Hello TFF friends!

Fossil Preparation has been something I have delved into on a surface level since I do not have the money to purchase air scribes and abrasives yet.

So far I have been using a carbide scriber and some chisels or a dremel for larger matrix removal. 

Now I am looking to upgrade a bit and get a pin vise, they seem quite versatile and pretty cheap.

I have found a vise that I think will be good for now, but I am now facing the task of finding needles to use with it.

Can anyone recommend any good pin vise needles? I am looking to use them on matrix of different hardnesses from fairly soft shales to harder limestones if possible.

Thank you for any help,

Misha

Misha, 

If you have a grinding wheel at all, you can grind your own with rod stock from the big box stores. 

Sewing needles aren't bad. You can harden them by heating them, then dousing them in oil. 

Also, a cheap Dremel engraver with custom made tips does a pretty good job. 

These are the ones I purchased. They seem to work well. Just have to take frequent breaks with the engraver due to vibrations. 

I am also partial to the General Tools Pocket Scriber.  You can buy replacement tips for them. 

I hope this helps some.

• I found this Informative 5

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

4 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Misha, 

If you have a grinding wheel at all, you can grind your own with rod stock from the big box stores. 

Sewing needles aren't bad. You can harden them by heating them, then dousing them in oil. 

Also, a cheap Dremel engraver with custom made tips does a pretty good job. 

These are the ones I purchased. They seem to work well. Just have to take frequent breaks with the engraver due to vibrations. 

I am also partial to the General Tools Pocket Scriber.  You can buy replacement tips for them. 

I hope this helps some.

Tim, this is very helpful.

Thank you for the advice, I thought of making my own and using sewing needles but did not know if it would work out. I will definitely give it a try.

Do you know how to tell if the heat treatment worked? I know that with knives they are usually tested against a file but I don't know if that would work in this case.

Also, do you know what type of oil should be used?

I would add that you can also look at carpet/upholstery needles, which are a bit thicker and sturdier than standard sewing needles (which are suitable for finer detail and less applied pressure). 

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

All good advice! My pin vise is double ended. I tend to use a scriber tip in one side, such as the ones Tim suggested, for removal of bulk matrix. The other end gets a standard sewing needle, but one on the larger side for more detailed work. Of course, these can and do, get switched out from time to time if necessary, but that is my standard setup.

I have also had experience with a Dremel style engraver, and agree with Tim, that they work well enough for the money. Just be sure to give the hand a break every 15 minutes or so! The vibrations from the tool will transfer into your hand and could potentially cause nerve damage over extended use. Give yourself a break every few minutes and you will be fine. Plus the tool could use a cool down as well. :)  

All that being said, I have my eye on a pneumatic upgrade. Hopefully sooner than later. ;)  

• I found this Informative 3

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

2 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

My pin vise is double ended.

Thank you for the advice!

This is also the kind of pin vise I was looking to get, I will give the two different types of needle options a try.

Just now, Misha said:

Thank you for the advice!

This is also the kind of pin vise I was looking to get, I will give the two different types of needle options a try.

I like the doubled ended type for quick switching between needles/scribers, as I find myself jumping around a lot on the fossil. From an area that has more bulk to remove, then over to an area that requires more detailed work. Since they are so cheap, you could also go with two (or more!) single pin vises and just swap them out as needed.  

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

What is the carbide needle you are using?  I use carbide rod in my pin vices, and not sewing needles, but sewing oins.  Sharpen each on a dremel with a diamond wheel.  

6 minutes ago, jpc said:

What is the carbide needle you are using?  I use carbide rod in my pin vices, and not sewing needles, but sewing oins.  Sharpen each on a dremel with a diamond wheel.  

Sorry I was not clear in what I said. I have been using a carbide scriber from the nearby hardware store, not a needle. It is pretty nice for the matrix I have tackled thus far although it does have difficulty in preparing harder limestones.

23 hours ago, Misha said:

Sorry I was not clear in what I said. I have been using a carbide scriber from the nearby hardware store, not a needle. It is pretty nice for the matrix I have tackled thus far although it does have difficulty in preparing harder limestones.

You almost have to take it up a notch to prep hard limestone... air tools.  

• I found this Informative 1