NJ Cretaceous Croc scute

Fishinfossil

It’s a concretion with some clam borings 

• I found this Informative 1

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

A couple more looks at it. Sorry for the crappy pics without detail. Its about a 1/8 inch thick. Those diagonal burrows in the middle reminded me of a sand dollar. @The Jersey Devil I'm fairly new with clam bores on concretions, is there a way to tell definitively their pattern or modus operandi? I found it interesting that the holes stopped completely at the one radius around the center.

I agree it doesn't look like a croc scute and appears to be some type of concretion. 

• I found this Informative 1

16 minutes ago, Fishinfossil said:

A couple more looks at it. Sorry for the crappy pics without detail. Its about a 1/8 inch thick. Those diagonal burrows in the middle reminded me of a sand dollar. @The Jersey Devil I'm fairly new with clam bores on concretions, is there a way to tell definitively their pattern or modus operandi? I found it interesting that the holes stopped completely at the one radius around the center.

I believe one thing that distinguishes the clams is the substrate they bore into.

Some do wood, others do shell, and yours did stone. Those are likely Xylophagella

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

I agree against crocodile scute because most of the scute I've seen has holes that are much closer together and evenly distributed; these appear more sporadic.