bthemoose

I found this along the Calvert Cliffs (Miocene exposure) in Maryland. The root shape doesn't look right to me for Carcharodon hastalis, though I could be wrong on that. Is it perhaps an Isurus desori?

5f2de9e47b430_CalvertCliffstooth.jpeg.743622b13f8c0ea2cb38aee06212f8c2.jpeg

5f2de9f01304e_CalvertCliffstooth2.jpg.6e178a8aa159f118f40ad0dd67578543.jpg

3 minutes ago, Familyroadtrip said:

Could be desori or retroflexus

Doesn't Isurus retroflexus have a more curved blade and flatter root?

7071967801_2c2d8fe184_b.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

23 minutes ago, MarcoSr said:

I don't want to cause another Anotodus/Isurus discussion, so I won't mention a genus, but this tooth looks like a retroflexus to me.

Marco Sr.

Can you explain how you made the call? I find that I often get confused when trying to differentiate desori, retroflexus and hastalis teeth. Especially the lowers. 

Raised labial platforming the easiest way to distinguish them in my humble opinion. Yours has a bit of wear on it but it’s still there.

A4CEA6EC-17C5-4DFD-8672-64E22FE94C57.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Easier to see on this one I found recently 

F0CBB6B6-216C-4589-9E6A-EA6EFB880277.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

I don't want to cause another Anotodus/Isurus discussion, so I won't mention a genus, but this tooth looks like a retroflexus to me.

Marco Sr.

Thanks @MarcoSr, much appreciated!

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

Raised labial platforming the easiest way to distinguish them in my humble opinion. Yours has a bit of wear on it but it’s still there.

A4CEA6EC-17C5-4DFD-8672-64E22FE94C57.jpeg

Thanks, @WhodamanHD! Were you responding to @Praefectus's question -- i.e. is raised labial platforming diagnostic of retroflexus?

30 minutes ago, bthemoose said:

Thanks, @WhodamanHD! Were you responding to @Praefectus's question -- i.e. is raised labial platforming diagnostic of retroflexus?

Yes! Sorry, I forgot to quote him. It’s one of a few features.

• I found this Informative 1

Happy hunting,

Mason