Cataloguing Suggestions?

hemipristis

hello all,

I've procrastinated for years, and am finally serious about cataloguing my collection (fossils, minerals, artifacts).  Can anyone recommend a cataloging software, for MAC?

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

I just use Numbers (the Mac Excel equivalent). It’s easy to use, portable, and I am less worried about future software stability issues.

• I found this Informative 1

I've been using Trilobase for a few years now and like it.  I don't know if it is Mac accessible.  It has a couple of quirks, but it is easy to use.  Good luck.  I waited toooo long to start cataloguing, so it was alot of work.

14 hours ago, connorp said:

I just use Numbers (the Mac Excel equivalent). It’s easy to use, portable, and I am less worried about future software stability issues.

Not a bad idea.  Would you mind sharing your template?

George Santayana

16 hours ago, JimB88 said:

Hmm, Im not sure if Trilobase has a Mac version; but I would check it out just in case.

7 hours ago, crabfossilsteve said:

I've been using Trilobase for a few years now and like it.  I don't know if it is Mac accessible.  It has a couple of quirks, but it is easy to use.  Good luck.  I waited toooo long to start cataloguing, so it was alot of work.

Thanks!  I checked and unfortunately, it's only available for Windows

George Santayana

I live and work in a Mac environment and had been using Filemaker for my catalog. I had it for a museum project. Now it will not run on the newer iOS and it is stupidly expensive. But I like the interface I created so I have an old iMac that pretty much is dedicated to this alone. The good news is I can easily (and often) export to a comma separated Excell file as back up.

• I found this Informative 2

I use File Mkaer at wrk, but have been using Trilobse at home lately.  FileMaker is great but expensive.  Trilobase is good... and free.  

2 minutes ago, jpc said:

I use File Mkaer at wrk, but have been using Trilobse at home lately.  FileMaker is great but expensive.  Trilobase is good... and free.  

Problem is still that it isn’t Mac compatible. 

And definitely keep an updated paper record on hand. I have had the pleasure of losing electronically stored data, and I have a few words to say about that but this forum keeps changing them into different ones. Cloud storage is good until it rains and your data follows the drops as they CRASH to earth. You don't know what 200 hours of data entry is until you have to do it again. It's bad enough to have to copy it; twice as bad to start from scratch, especially when it involves measurements and photos.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!