Die Grinders or Dremel?

cngodles

Hello all,

I've done a bit of light prepping, but not much grinding. My typical matrix is a cement like limestone matrix that is hard to get things out of. You just sort of have to hope things come out clean.

I bought an air scribe and use it often. It's not easy work, but eventually things can come out pretty clean. I have a couple of pin vices, but they are almost of no use with this matrix, there is so much calcite. I use them more often for shale.

I use a battery and wired Dewalt grinder with a cement/granite cutting wheel to remove specimens from larger rocks. I have been looking into the battery or wired Dewalt 1 1/2in die grinder, but not sure if it would be as useful compared to something like a Dremel. I figure I would need some sort of carbide or diamond bit set. I'm looking to remove larger pieces of matrix before getting closer with the air scribe.

Thank you for any help.

Fossils of Parks Township - ResearchCatalog | How-to Make High-Contrast Photos

I use a Dremel, and it has worked great, the power is fine, and any bits you need can be found fairly cheap from some stores. The flex shaft attachment can give you better mobility and control of the grinding bit if you need that.

Overall, it is a very versatile and helpful tool. 
I have not had any experience with die grinders though.

• I found this Informative 1

I think your original setup is good, getting a die grinder would be a down grade and so would a dremel compared to an air scribe. 

I have two scribes, a cp9163 for matrix removal and a smaller aro like scribe from krantz for the details, personally getting the cp9163 did wonders for me

• I found this Informative 1