what do you collect? (or keep)

butchndad

Grandpa is right on. I collected the other day and only took a single brach home..but made some new memories with good people

12 hours ago, butchndad said:

please share.  i'm always curious how folks keep or display their collections.  Personally at this point all my teeth are in glass topped display cases, piled one on top of the other.  But then i am in a condo and space is at a premium

I hear you.  I live in old tiny farm works cottage so it is pretty small not much space  . It is night here so my picture are not good but I post some of my collection to be social . My favourite fossils are my ammonites, most self found  but a very very close second are the fossil I received as gifts off Mrs R and the wonderful forum members here.  Not much very rare  but all are treasure to me. Just few drawers to see the variety.

491081AD-22E3-42D1-A50B-647DF4FE2413.jpeg

C029A8BE-B44A-4526-90CF-5B37D5088DB0.jpeg

368732EA-3FD3-4C30-847B-E463BF91409E.jpeg

07E2CDF1-D0FD-4850-8840-EA86F65F2928.jpeg

85BEAD84-F8D1-4556-8E06-A8F81DE79987.jpeg

B91FEA94-72AC-4BA6-B3CF-9C1BEAF53816.jpeg

47BAAABF-EBFE-46EA-A8A1-3A9E9CB1EA0F.jpeg

8D29AB1A-F620-461A-8DE9-BAB2295A7A41.jpeg

03521E6E-6BD9-4BFA-8EC1-D9BBE87EDDB8.jpeg

90149567-3028-4D27-8744-4E5BDD1CFFE2.jpeg

645DFABD-5756-43F4-B52C-111F08DF767E.jpeg

CBD19BCC-9925-4ECC-AB60-E3B6220C75EB.jpeg

1EAF791F-7ACA-45C0-A81B-ABA393D998B4.jpeg

• I found this Informative 12

2 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

I hear you.  I live in old tiny farm works cottage so it is pretty small not much space  . It is night here so my picture are not good but I post some of my collection to be social . My favourite fossils are my ammonites, most self found  but a very very close second are the fossil I received as gifts off Mrs R and the wonderful forum members here.  Not much very red rare  but all are treasure to me. Just few drawers to see the variety.

B51A2B7F-CB7D-4B12-BDAC-4753FB2DF0B6.jpeg

932E9A1D-9D5B-4485-9C89-4033573404C0.jpeg

8921EE3A-70AE-48C8-80FA-361CBEF55021.jpeg

D4223B38-1910-44B9-B576-1F41573F3C5C.jpeg

A150558A-ADA9-4D9F-8C20-8CE1F69BDEA0.jpeg

97C71FBE-E3D9-4E2A-B120-16D2F08C95F7.jpeg

01DB150E-FA68-4678-B24B-5DD9E852C2D7.jpeg

B7A0810C-CB9C-4537-81DE-A55FBAD3582E.jpeg

04F453F9-9C3A-4FD0-861F-84FCD56B4031.jpeg

5D6BFA8C-4841-413C-B1E0-D3FD050AEE5F.jpeg

allow me to say "WOW"

3 hours ago, butchndad said:

what i've found is that it depends on what direction you go from Hillsdale Rd.  Toward Boundary Rd (opposite side from the Big Brook sign) you'll find more teeth and less belemnite and oysters.  On the side with the sign, less teeth, more oysters and belemnite.  And i guess it makes sense that the further from the parking area the better.  Obviously that's only my take and other, more experienced Big Brook collectors may say differently

Thank you! You might not be the most experienced, but you have a great percentage rate for finding mosasaur teeth, and that’s what I desperately want to find!

9 hours ago, butchndad said:

allow me to say "WOW"

Thank you very much and now let’s see your treasures, please and thank you. :thumbsu:

Inspired by photographing some of my collectors drawers for this thread , I made a couple of small wooden boxes to make an interesting drawer display . I like the drawers  to look good. Also for my birthday MrsR gave me a very basic hand miter saw, so it was a good opportunity to use it, 

6D8805C6-3318-4190-AD97-2E87EBE25A03.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

When I first started collecting fossils I got a few bits and pieces from various groups - fish, plants, ammonites, trilobites etc. 

But I quickly restricted myself to plants and fish, with a few pieces stromatolites & amber which also appeals to me. All pre KT boundary

I always told myself that my "rule" was to avoid anything else 

But over the past few months, I have developed an interest in other groups too. Mainly due to reading books and spending time on the forum. And have told myself I don't really need to stick to this policy I have created for myself. So in the past few weeks have added a few reptile teeth and shark teeth to my collection! 

Am still trying to keep to pre KT, but I guess in due course I will forego that "rule"  too.

Fish and plants will always be my first love. 

But it is nice to have a diverse collection. 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

BTW apart from actual hunting, collecting means much work of sorting out and preparing the finds, cleaning and consolidating, looking through micro matrix, keeping notes. Many collectors find the time for hunting and buying, but fail with the rest, hoarding the house with 1000 same species specimens, unsorted hauls, 10-year old matrix to look through and so on

• I found this Informative 1

On 8/14/2020 at 7:08 PM, Bobby Rico said:

Inspired by photographing some of my collectors drawers for this thread , I made a couple of small wooden boxes to make an interesting drawer display . I like the drawers  to look good. Also for my birthday MrsR gave me a very basic hand miter saw, so it was a good opportunity to use it, 

6D8805C6-3318-4190-AD97-2E87EBE25A03.jpeg

Love that coloborhynchus tooth. That's a really good sized one--way better than my small ones.

• 1 month later...

I collect anything when I’m on the field as I can trade it with people but the only things I keep are vertebrates echinoids ammonites and crustaceans with a main focus on sharks teeth

On 9.08.2020 at 11:28 PM, grandpa said:

I collect memories

Great times spent with good friends and new friends enjoying a day of exploration and discovery in the great outdoors,

The adrenaline rush of the initial fossil discovery, 

The intellectual challenge of researching and ID'ing my find,

Recognition of its age and its place in the evolutionary story,

The rush of all of these memories each time I see/handle the fossil again,

The sharing of all of this with friends of similar interest,

etc., etc., . . . .

You get the idea me thinks.  -_-

Agree. Nothing more to add. I collect paleozoic vertebrates only and honestly I feel sometimes lonely in regard to my hobby. Not too many people share this interest...

I collect anything I think is interesting.  Here in Florida, it's fossil shells, sea glass and old bottles, fossil bone, and shark teeth. I also keep anything I think I can make crafts or jewelry with for myself, family, and friends. I don't have a proper display for special finds yet, but that will come with time. 

On 8/9/2020 at 5:10 AM, butchndad said:

good morning all

a recent post of mine and then the response of 2 members concerned keeping (or not) of found modern bone.

which got me wondering - WHAT DO YOU FOLKS COLLECT OR KEEP? (not exactly sure what the difference is).

For me, collecting in Cretaceous Big Brook, fossil shark or other teeth are my main finds and hence my main collection.

But i collect, or at least keep pretty much anything i find that i like so i also keep belemnite, fossil shells, modern bone, interesting stones and artifacts ranging from pottery shards to glass bottles (and even odd stuff like shell casings).  (I even have a glass vase full of translucent rocks).

What do you collect or keep?

I’m firmly in the same camp as @butchndad ie:

I still collect any fossil I find; anything I find that isn’t a rock or trash!!!  

Mainly shark teeth and misc. northern Texas Cretaceous stuff.

Except... I do also collect the (more than) occasional “pretty” rock, particularly very large chunks of jet (bitumen?) that I plan to try carving a la Victorian cameos someday. (I came to fossil hunting via rockhounding as cheap (free!) source material for my jewelry making hobby.)

Except... I also collect the “trash” if it’s old glass and pottery shards! (I mainly hunt POC, so great for shards!!) So any trash that looks older than about 30 years is game.

Except... I also collect some “newer” trash if it has some kind of interesting art possibilities (I also like to make mobiles & “found object” sculpture, in addition to jewelry.)

Except... I also collect any rock that seems like it may be a prehistoric  artifact too. Lots of rocks that seem “just too perfectly formed to fit in the hand, it must be a tool, right?!?” Though no arrowheads yet (still at the top of my to-find-someday dream.) Nothing indisputably an artifact yet. (Alas!) 

So, really, I collect anything paleontological or anthropological or mineral!!!

Except... I also collect any old (modern era) bones, and especially teeth, I find; my past as a field biologist just won’t let me pass them up! They may end up as teaching tools for my science classes or maybe even as art or jewelry! (Gilded crow skulls look amazing!)

Except... I also collect bits of (modern) metal too, especially wire and any old hardware for using for found-object sculptures. Even the many u.r.b’s (unidentifiable rusted blobs) found everywhere at POC.

Except... I also collect random seed pods, acorns, gnarled twigs, dead bugs, cicada shells, modern shells, and pretty leaves on occasion (e.g., Thanksgiving decore, etc.).

So, REALLY, I only collect “WHATEVER CATCHES MY FANCY” (“and can get smuggled into my workshop before my hubby sees it.”) Yeah. That’s all!

Oh, and boxes to store all of it in....

Can never have too many Rubbermade bins!!!

896FCF0D-32D2-4029-966C-7B5A1F6EB597.jpeg

Edited by CAT B
typos

P.S.  I’ve been fossil-hunting Northern Texas (Cretaceous) for almost exactly year now. I think I must be starting to get “seasoned” as I’ve started getting picky enough to actually NOT collect (bring home) EVERY fossil I see!!! My poundage of “maybes” to sort thru at the end of the day is FINALLY down below 5-10 pounds now, most trips. HUGE progress!!! lol

• I found this Informative 2

On 8/9/2020 at 9:45 AM, Bobby Rico said:

....I have made a curio post here on the forum if  your interested ?

Where is the curio post?

25 minutes ago, sharkdoctor said:

Where is the curio post?

Here you go I hope you enjoyed and feel free to add to the thread 

On 8/19/2020 at 7:15 AM, RuMert said:

BTW apart from actual hunting, collecting means much work of sorting out and preparing the finds, cleaning and consolidating, looking through micro matrix, keeping notes. Many collectors find the time for hunting and buying, but fail with the rest, hoarding the house with 1000 same species specimens, unsorted hauls, 10-year old matrix to look through and so on

I'm afraid you pretty much described me!

On 8/9/2020 at 5:28 PM, grandpa said:

I collect memories

Great times spent with good friends and new friends enjoying a day of exploration and discovery in the great outdoors,

The adrenaline rush of the initial fossil discovery, 

The intellectual challenge of researching and ID'ing my find,

Recognition of its age and its place in the evolutionary story,

The rush of all of these memories each time I see/handle the fossil again,

The sharing of all of this with friends of similar interest,

etc., etc., . . . .

You get the idea me thinks.  -_-

All the best bits to kep!

I refuse to give up my childish wonder at the world.

Slow to find this thread, but here you go...

The house is so loaded with all things from nature that we refer to it as the family natural history museum. They are in curio cabinets, little display boxes, hanging on the walls, sitting on tables, and tucked away in boxes waiting for identification ( a very slow, but steady process!). We even loan things out!

My daughter and partner in crime only likes the sharp, pointy things. I go for depth and breadth. I collect as much as I can from every site I visit. I sort it out when I get home in case I mistook something unusual for a more common find. You'd be amazed how many  new species are identified years after they were pulled out of the dirt. To that end, we've collected from, Quebec to Florida, Delaware to California. We live in such a diverse area that we can day trip to sites ranging from Devonian to Miocene and maybe later.

My only personal stipulations are that there has to be enough to identify the thing and I don't want a million of the same thing. Enough for comparisons is fine. If I take home more than a few of the common ones whose identities I'm sure of (from repeated trips to that spot), it's because I have plans for them as give-aways.

115800365_694583277787465_6239373151191065837_o.thumb.jpg.a1fa16c3a2af0b51b6d47165961622be.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

I refuse to give up my childish wonder at the world.

I like this thread so much. I collect anything that catches my eye as interesting, this includes rocks, minerals, wood, old glass, old bottles, old things, old broken ceramics, bone, skulls, teeth, feathers, worn toys, scrap metal, antique things, artifacts, fossils and everything in between. Some of these found objects I will display while some get used in sculptures, but most is just laying around in piles of beautiful trash. Some pics of displays, sculptures and finds. 

IMG_20201003_105634.jpg

IMG_20201003_105412.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Bradley Flynn said:

sculptures

Love your work really strong stuff. Fantastic displays too.