Large Bone Fragment, Maybe Rib Bone?

jameshammond

Found near the Savannah River, I was thinking it looks like it could be a rib or shin bone. Does anybody have any idea what it could be?

E7A43CFB-C010-454D-AA22-374328BD581F.jpeg

F01B2DEB-3E0C-438F-812D-1525619FC0D3.jpeg

16 hours ago, jameshammond said:

Found near the Savannah River, I was thinking it looks like it could be a rib or shin bone. Does anybody have any idea what it could be?

EDITED:  Sorry, should have started with "Welcome to TFF,  a great place for fossil hunters!!.  Hope you make finding fossils a frequent activity.  I hear there are LOTs in South Carolina" 

Could be a chunk of Baleen whale jaw.... Do you have a grove at the red line? Photos from top and bottom (yellow arrows).  Help from @Boesse

BoneAug10th.JPG.06d5fe0a3c9b3e13708937ef2cc6347a.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

If this is marine mammal, and I'm willing to bet that it is, based on size, this would almost have to be a fragment of mandible or maxilla/premaxilla from a mysticete (baleen whale).

9 hours ago, Boesse said:

If this is marine mammal, and I'm willing to bet that it is, based on size, this would almost have to be a fragment of mandible or maxilla/premaxilla from a mysticete (baleen whale).

9 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

EDITED:  Sorry, should have started with "Welcome to TFF,  a great place for fossil hunters!!.  Hope you make finding fossils a frequent activity.  I hear there are LOTs in South Carolina" 

Could be a chunk of Baleen whale jaw.... Do you have a grove at the red line? Photos from top and bottom (yellow arrows).  Help from @Boesse

BoneAug10th.JPG.06d5fe0a3c9b3e13708937ef2cc6347a.JPG

Thank you for the warm welcome! There is a groove running along it exactly where the red line is in the diagram, I’d say that’s most likely what it is! It was found in an area rich in marine fossils. Thank you Shellseeker and Boesse.

On 8/10/2020 at 8:30 PM, jameshammond said:

Thank you for the warm welcome! There is a groove running along it exactly where the red line is in the diagram, I’d say that’s most likely what it is! It was found in an area rich in marine fossils. Thank you Shellseeker and Boesse.

You will likely be interested in this thread from 4 years ago:

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"