Can I get an ID on a ceratosaurus tooth?

camdenc

I was recently given a tooth collection a relative of mine has built up over the years and somebody on reddit said that I should come here to verify my ceratosaurus tooth, as he said it is hard to identify one. If anybody could check this out, it would be appreciated.

C933F231-21B5-4816-B0EA-819EE6FAA075.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

I think we’d need better photos, close up shots on the serrations and a location of where this tooth was found. 
regards, indominus rex

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

Welcome to the forum

Its very difficult to identify small jurassic teeth just based off of a photo under glass.  Some are just  unidentifiable .

If you are interested will need ALL the following information:

Formation:  hopfully you were provided some information on where you teeth were found

Location of find:

Size:

Following dimensions in mm: CH, CBW, CBL

Serration Count:

3 to 5 mm wide (whatever is easiest) at the midline of both carinae.   

Photo: (straight in photo not at obtuse angles)

Clear and bright not under glass

Both sides, Base and one of the complete mesial (outside) carina need to see where it ends at base

Screenshot_20190415-125247.thumb.jpg.b28eab8ac15eb107fb62df54457a36fd.jpg.0c36e3d06180bb8044129c70c29e843e.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Welcome to the forum. Nice tooth and you’re very lucky. 

Hard to tell from one image but my first thought was Marshosaurus based on size and shape.

Agree with @Troodon you need to provide all of the information requested to get a better identification. 

13 hours ago, FF7_Yuffie said:

Irrelevant to the id, but I'd love to see a photo of the brachiosaurus fossil (tooth?)

There you are

image.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

14 hours ago, Troodon said:

Welcome to the forum

Its very difficult to identify small jurassic teeth just based off of a photo under glass.  Some are just  unidentifiable .

If you are interested will need ALL the following information:

Formation:  hopfully you were provided some information on where you teeth were found

Location of find:

Size:

Following dimensions in mm: CH, CBW, CBL

Serration Count:

3 to 5 mm wide (whatever is easiest) at the midline of both carinae.   

Photo: (straight in photo not at obtuse angles)

Clear and bright not under glass

Both sides, Base and one of the complete mesial (outside) carina need to see where it ends at base

Screenshot_20190415-125247.thumb.jpg.b28eab8ac15eb107fb62df54457a36fd.jpg.0c36e3d06180bb8044129c70c29e843e.jpg

find: near the National dinosaur monument (Morrison formation I believe)

Ch:46mm

Cbw:8mm

Cbl:15mm

Around 65 preserved serrations on the inside of the tooth give or take a few due to human error. (I think that’s what you wanted I’m not too good with fossil terminology)

I hope this could answer your questions

57CE75DC-A618-4360-B21E-523730699FA3.jpeg

C9B6A038-2213-4B64-A903-0AA62E532A5D.jpeg

17 hours ago, indominus rex said:

I think we’d need better photos, close up shots on the serrations and a location of where this tooth was found. 
regards, indominus rex

Left that info in the reply to Troodon.

Thanks we are almost there.  The serration count must be on both the inside and outside serrations (carina) .   It needs to be measured at the approx midline of the carina (middle of the tooth about 3 to 5 mm wide) not the entire carina.  If you do not have outside serrations an ID becomes difficult.  I also need photos of the side of the tooth showing the entire outside carina and other side of the tooth.   

Locality info?

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, Troodon said:

Thanks we are almost there.  The serration count must be on both the inside and outside serrations (carina) .   It needs to be measured at the approx midline of the carina (middle of the tooth about 3 to 5 mm wide) not the entire carina.  If you do not have outside serrations an ID becomes difficult.  I also need photos of the side of the tooth showing the entire outside carina and other side of the tooth.   

Locality info?

Ok so on the outside there are roughly 40 preserved teeth. The serration stops about midway through the tooth, I don’t know if that is normal or just the way it was preserved. The outside carina measured at 40 mm and the inside was 35 mm. I don’t have any locality info. The first image is the outside and the second is the inside. I don’t own a good camera or anything so these are just pictures on my phone.

6D99D56B-DAE0-4DB1-A2EC-9568B5C719BE.jpeg

9E02303D-2A9E-4CAB-8FB8-2F9BD495AEA3.jpeg

Serrations stopping midway is normal for some teeth.  However with the serration count, what Troodon means is we require a serration count taken near the middle of the tooth, and the serration count should be taken over a span of 3-5mm.  To do that, take a length of between 3-5mm near the middle of the tooth and count the number of serrations over that distance (on both sides).  We need to know both the number of serrations and the distance over which the measurement was taken :dinothumb:

That said, from the pictures it looks like the serrations may be very worn on one side.  We'd need a count from both sides in order to compare them, otherwise it's going to be very hard to ID.

• I Agree 1

Thanks we are getting there :).  Well with the information you have already provided we can say its most likely not a Ceratosaurus tooth.   With a few exceptions those have serrations extending to the base on the outside edge.   

Here is an illustration that may help in what we are asking for when it comes to serration count.  Its at the midpoint of the serration line.

We need the number of serrations in a span of 3 to 5 mm wide where the red dots are indicated.   A minimum span of 1 mm is required if they are hard to read.

5f32771b7bf69_Theropodtooth.thumb.jpg.fe81718c68d24a49468d8c2fb85504a4.jpg

9 hours ago, Troodon said:

Thanks we are getting there :).  Well with the information you have already provided we can say its most likely not a Ceratosaurus tooth.   With a few exceptions those have serrations extending to the base on the outside edge.   

Here is an illustration that may help in what we are asking for when it comes to serration count.  Its at the midpoint of the serration line.

We need the number of serrations in a span of 3 to 5 mm wide where the red dots are indicated.   A minimum span of 1 mm is required if they are hard to read.

5f32771b7bf69_Theropodtooth.thumb.jpg.fe81718c68d24a49468d8c2fb85504a4.jpg

Ah so i checked and the outside had about 7 in 3 mm and the inside had about 12 in 3 mm. I feel like an idiot for not understanding haha.

Please don't feel that way its how you learn.   We all have to start someplace.   I also need to calibrate my request based on the experience of requestor so its partly my fault 

Thank you on the info.  We all can look at a tooth and take a guess of what it is but its the hard evidence that is required to insure that its correct.   What you have is tooth from a Marshosaurus bicentesimus  The difference in serration density between both sides, the short mesial carina and ratios of the base sizes all fit the teeth of that dinosaur.   Given the color of the preservation its most likely from the Morrison Formation and it can be from Utah.

The other tooth I'll comment is the sauropod tooth you posted above.  I would lean more to identifying it as a Camarasaurus sp. than what you have.

Both are very nice teeth, enjoy

On 8/11/2020 at 2:04 PM, Troodon said:

Please don't feel that way its how you learn.   We all have to start someplace.   I also need to calibrate my request based on the experience of requestor so its partly my fault 

Thank you on the info.  We all can look at a tooth and take a guess of what it is but its the hard evidence that is required to insure that its correct.   What you have is tooth from a Marshosaurus bicentesimus  The difference in serration density between both sides, the short mesial carina and ratios of the base sizes all fit the teeth of that dinosaur.   Given the color of the preservation its most likely from the Morrison Formation and it can be from Utah.

The other tooth I'll comment is the sauropod tooth you posted above.  I would lean more to identifying it as a Camarasaurus sp. than what you have.

Both are very nice teeth, enjoy

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...