Winner of the July 2020 Invertebrate/Plant Fossil Of The Month

digit

Beautiful find Mike and congrats on  the win!:thumbsu::yay-smiley-1:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Fantastic Mike,

Great find , excellent Prep... and to think, I knew you when....:thumbsu:

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks for all of the support for my find. Back in mid July it was a surprise that no posts for fossil of the month had occurred. So I thought I'd break the ice. Whether that helped to stimulate more entries or not, at least a fair number of quality fossils came forth. I do feel I need to mention one in particular, the Almucidaris falgarsensis echinoid. When I first saw it, I thought it was an absolutely beautiful echinoid, but still, it was "just an echinoid".  In my mind, trilobites trump echinoids. Sorry echi lovers! I do rank echis above dinos though. LOL But after researching this specimen, it became apparent how rare the find was and how undervalued it seemed to be (in my opinion) in the polling.  My point to those of you who like to vote in these contests, research the specimens entered before selecting your favorite. I feel we would have had a different and well deserving winner if everyone understood this find. To the rest of the entrants, every specimen brought to our attention was fabulous! 

Mike

• I found this Informative 5

Mike,

Congratulations on the win, you have a fantastic trilobite there :wub: :drool: :wub:

I really appreciate your comments.  It is often tough to balance eye appeal against rarity/scientific significance, and the latter often does not get as much weight as it should. 

Don

• I found this Informative 1

Gorgeous trilobite, absolutely stunning!!! I don’t know that I agree with you about the echinoid Dinosaur thing, but that’s fine we’re all entitled to our own opinions! I’m not really an echinoid person, but that one is gorgeous and rare, I did vote for the trilo and still might, but I do agree with @FossilDAWG rare/scientific fossils don’t get as much attention as they should. 

Beautiful trilobite. You really do find some special pieces, Mike. :)

And get them prepped by experts.

I do agree to some extent about the echinoid, an incredible, fascinating and rare specimen. 

But, we're all different. 

I didn't vote for either of them, I have to admit. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

8 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I didn't vote for either of them, I have to admit.

Neither did I !!!!

• I found this Informative 1

Congrats Mike! Awesome bug!

:yay-smiley-1:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)