silurian octopuses?

PaleoOrdo

I found these two stones in two different places  both of them from silur. Anyone can which kind of octopuses it is? Is the round thing a part of the octopus? One of them have visible crystals and which material it is made of? Aragonite?

Martin

cryst oct.jpg

oct si.jpg

Possibly an orthoconic nautiloid. The earliest octopod would be Pohlsepia mazonensis, which dates to the upper Carboniferous. 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I understand. I used th word "OCTOPUS" in an unusual way, meaning the same higher class of animals as including nautiloids and octopod. I guess it is difficult to know which  the species it is?

Martin 

Ah, you mean cephalopod. :) 

I am not much help in drilling down to genus and species level for this one, but I know we have some keen experts on cephalopods around here that will see this and hopefully chime in! 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thank you very much for introducing the scientific terms on this very interesting animal Kane. I have found several other speciemen from silur and ordovicium which will be posted later.

Martin

• 9 months later...

The first photo, since it show top-rounded cones of the siphuncle, may it be an endocerid?