Calamite?

Wolf13542

Is this a calamite? I want to make sure before going behind my house and laughing at all the tiny calamites I find there. This was found In Northeast PA on a Lake Erie beach. On the back it just looks like a plain grey river rock. The coin(in case it's not clear) is an American quarter.

post-2599-12614363676185_thumb.jpg

I vote yes :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

looks like a piece of a coral

Ya' know what? You're right. The "ribbing" looks like very eroded coral structure. 'Splains the material it appears to be preserved in, too.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I'm looking at some of my Calamites specimens now on my desk and I'm really leaning towards coral. If it is a calamites, it is VERY worn...

I agree that it's a coral of some time, probably a horn coral. It looks like it's preserved in limestone, while most plant fossils are found in near shore rocks like shale and sandstone. Also here are no Carboniferous aged rocks near (or north of in case your thinking glaciers) Lake Erie to contribute such a specimen anyway. Does the piece have a cross section that looks a little like a bike wheel with spokes coming from the center or more of a honeycomb pattern?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Agree with Shama, need and end picture. I can see where you'd think Calamites, but agree the material doesn't look right. Did they move Lake Erie, why I remember back when I was a kid it was north west pa. :D

Horn coral? Wow! Eire had coral!

Well, that was a loooooong time before Erie (or even the N. Am. continent) came to be.

Well, that was a loooooong time before Erie (or even the N. Am. continent) came to be.

I think the last time n. am. continent had horn coral was back in the divonian period.

-Frozen