Unknown ordovician fossil

PaleoOrdo

I foud these two stones on a fossil hunting trip some weeks ago. The fossil on the below stone seems to be a gastropod (size about 3 cm), but is the other a sponge? Anyone have an idea? Both are from middle ordovicium, Oslo-field in Norway.

Martin

sponge GASTROPOD L.jpg

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

The gastropod may be the flat side of a Maclurites sp. which would be an Ordovician index fossil - only lived during the Ordovician period. Could the other one be a strom - bacteria strings?

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

I'm going to suggest stromatoporoid, knowing that that's probably wrong and someone will likely come along and tell us what it really is..

It looks like the underside of a stromatoporoid sponge or an encrusting bryozoan to me. The gastropod looks more like Liospira to me.

• 1 month later...

After read myself up on the topic of gastropods, I conclude that @Bev is right, that it is not a Liospira but at Maclurites. As one member wrote in 2012 on this website: "If you look at a Maclurites there is no rise with the whorls. The direction of the whorls are also different, Maclurites coils clockwise, and Liospira coils counterclockwise." That is, curling leftwards or sinistral. Moreover it seems to be Maclurites specie no. 1, not no. 2, because of the size. See: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/242194242_EARLY_ORDOVICIAN_GASTROPODS_OF_THE_BARBACE_COVE_MEMBER_BOAT_HARBOUR_FORMATION_AND_CATOCHE_FORMATION_WESTERN_NEWFOUNDLAND

Intersting that I have found an index fossil, so now I am sure the site is really ordovicium, although it remains unsure for me if it is middle or late ordovicium.

Martin

• 1 month later...

After reading more about stromatoporoid, I agree with JimB88 that it is a sponge, because of the "brick-like structure".

Martin

An ordovician stone I found at first sight seemed not interesting, but then I broke of a part and did see this forms. Is it a fossil? The structure is about 4-5 cm long. It has a clear pink color, never seen anything like it.

Anyone can help with ID?

5f8cbdb5c92ed_LFSPONGEORsomethingelse.thumb.jpg.b7ed672dbc74c0a6f15bccaaf52698c0.jpg