Unknown Carboniferous bone

Strepsodus

I found this today in County Durham, UK.  It comes from the coal measures (upper Carboniferous).  If anyone can identify it that would be great.  It measures 55mm long.

20200811_194519.thumb.jpg.76980049aed4fa1a5565950f41a019b9.jpg20200811_194548.thumb.jpg.9c98e5b4ab7585565c14f75fdcdf64a9.jpg20200811_194649.thumb.jpg.24d14965c9625d4aeff90962021ffedb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, westcoast said:

Coalified bits of sigillaria bark maybe

Thanks for the suggestion, I think its bone though because of the bone structure at the end and the surface detail, though I could be wrong.  The same block contains fish teeth and other fish fragments.  The lines go around the curve which I dont think could happen in Sigillaria.

I agree that there is coalification going on here, but I also do see bone structure. Not sure what this is to be honest. Hopefully you get an ID!

13 hours ago, Petalodus12 said:

I agree that there is coalification going on here, but I also do see bone structure. Not sure what this is to be honest. Hopefully you get an ID!

The closest thing I can find is a fin spine but several things about it look different.  It is much wider at one end than the other.  I wonder if it could be some kind of jaw with all the teeth missing?

22 minutes ago, Strepsodus said:

The closest thing I can find is a fin spine but several things about it look different.  It is much wider at one end than the other.  I wonder if it could be some kind of jaw with all the teeth missing?

A jaw is definitely a possibility . This one is a tough one to ID, for sure 

I think I have figured out what this is.  Figure from 'Catalogue of the fossil fishes in the British museum (natural history)'.

20200812_152811.thumb.jpg.6e9252e26f74cb5a0362d5b923cc98b8.jpg20200812_152834.thumb.jpg.eb9fdd3ac38c1ec4772ab7c6af9c10cd.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Not totally sure it's oracanthus, which looks like this:

api

But I'd agree it is probably a gyracanthid of some sort. "Gyracanthus" duplicatus looks a lot like your fossil.

• I found this Informative 3

4 minutes ago, jdp said:

Not totally sure it's oracanthus, which looks like this:

api

But I'd agree it is probably a gyracanthid of some sort. "Gyracanthus" duplicatus looks a lot like your fossil.

Thanks, I have been reading some books and I agree Gyracanthus looks a good match.

1 hour ago, TqB said:

It's a nice find and  "Gyracanthus" looks a good provisional ID:)

Thanks, its the first one of these I have found.

1 hour ago, Strepsodus said:

Thanks, its the first one of these I have found.

That's one more than me. :) 

Tarquin

On 12/8/2020 at 4:22 PM, Strepsodus said:

Thanks, I have been reading some books and I agree Gyracanthus looks a good match.

Makes perfect sense, i missed the size. I have even found a few of my own recently :DOH: