Fossil Noob in need of assistance!!

Fossil Noob

Hiya!! Fossil Noob in need of assistance!!

Sorry in advance for not having a ruler, I will make sure I get one!

I found these two rocks sitting on the river bed, the hot weather means the river is shallow at the moment. They were found in a village called Rosebank near Glasgow on the river Clyde, which I've been told is apparently in the carboniferous belt across central Scotland.

Any tips, pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated as I would love to learn more. My own research has not really pointed me in any direction and these might be nothing!

Stay safe everyone! :)

Both.jpg

fossil 2 again.jpg

fossil 2.jpg

fossil 1 again.jpg

Fossil 1.jpg

Edited by Fossil Noob

Welcome to the forum!

Carboniferous would make sense. Others here have more experience in these types of fossils but they certainly appear to be the ancient tree-like ferns like Lepidodendron as Bobby mentioned.

Cheers.

-Ken

Fig_8_Lycopod heights.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Hi Bobby! Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated and super quick. I had my hopes up it was the skin of a little tiny baby Mosasaur lol as the pattern is very similar haha!! Do you think they are both the same? Thanks again

Hi Ken, also thank you for the reply and for the lovely welcome just like Bobby gave me!

Much appreciated and this is very exciting as I didn't expect these to be as old as they are! I must get out and hunt for more! :) 

Hope Florida is treating you well!

2 minutes ago, Fossil Noob said:

Hi Bobby! Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated and super quick. I had my hopes up it was the skin of a little tiny baby Mosasaur lol as the pattern is very similar haha!! Do you think they are both the same? Thanks again

They are pretty nice finds . I think they both from a tree fern . We do have some amazing members who will probably be able to help you more with a better ID. 

cheers Bobby 

2 minutes ago, Fossil Noob said:

Much appreciated Bobby! These are my first ever finds! :) 

They are my favourite fossil plant material. I love the patterns . A great first find congratulations.

Have you been to Fossil Grove? It maybe of interest. 

https://fossilgroveglasgow.org/ 

5 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

They are my favourite fossil plant material. I love the patterns . A great first find congratulations.

Have you been to Fossil Grove? It maybe of interest. 

https://fossilgroveglasgow.org/ 

Thank you :) I came across Fossil Grove for the first time during my own research earlier tonight and funnily enough, it is only 30 mins or so up the road! A great shout Bobby thank you. Can't believe I didn't know about it before !  I will hopefully get to visit this year if it reopens. Really apprecaited!

Just to add this was general 'Fossils in Scotland' research as I had no idea those were even plant material

Edited by Fossil Noob
addition

You should look into joining a fossil club in your area, if at all possible. 

It's a great way to meet like minded people and learn a bunch from experienced people from your area.  :) 

By the way, nice Lepidodendron branches. ( Which, by the way, are much older than mosasaur remains! )

Thanks for posting them here. :) 

@Archie  may be of some assistance with your area. 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

8 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

You should look into joining a fossil club in your area, if at all possible. 

It's a great way to meet like minded people and learn a bunch from experienced people from your area.  :) 

By the way, nice Lepidodendron branches. ( Which, by the way, are much older than mosasaur remains! )

Thanks for posting them here. :) 

@Archie  may be of some assistance with your area. 

Hey Dude! Thanks for the advice and reply. Much appreciated. Definitely wasn't expecting to get such a confirmation from so many folk or for it to be so old!! Totally thrilled and dying to find more!! Any pointers are much appreciated. 

P. S. Also much much older than the ancient Greek architecture I am used to :)

2 hours ago, Fossil Noob said:

These are my first ever finds! :) 

Oh, you're hooked now--abandon all hope. :P

We've a number of members on the forum in the UK and some from Scotland. Do some searching here on the forum and you may find out more about fossils from your area (and some members who can bring you up the learning curve).

Cheers.

-Ken

5 hours ago, digit said:

Oh, you're hooked now--abandon all hope. :P

We've a number of members on the forum in the UK and some from Scotland. Do some searching here on the forum and you may find out more about fossils from your area (and some members who can bring you up the learning curve).

Cheers.

-Ken

Hi Ken, 

Thanks for the tip! Getting used to navigating TFF gradually and trying to scout for local(ish) info and finds. When I used the search box for terms like 'scotland' or 'glasgow' for example I was only getting one or two hits but I know there will be more out there. Maybe the desktop version of the site is better for noobs than mobile?  

Cheers Louise 

Your Lepidodendron fossil is of a fern that makes a Mosasaurus look like a pygmy by comparison. Some stood 100 feet tall.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Welcome to TFF :D 

These are some awesome first finds! 

I think you might have a nice example of Lepidophloios there as well in the last two pics, it differs from Lepidodendron in that the leaf scars are wider than they are tall. A great resource for identifying Carboniferous plant fossils in the central belt of Scotland is Plant Fossils of the British Coal Measures, even if the formation your hunting in isn't the Coal Measures its a big help to point you in the right direction.

If your looking for a group to go hunting with in the local area the Glasgow Geological Society are a nice bunch of folks, I dont know your area as well as the east of Scotland but Dalmellington in Ayrshire is a great site for Carboniferous plants and fish stuff like scales and teeth and if your lucky you can get the odd amphibian bone! 

• I found this Informative 2