First fossil hunting trip ever

FossilJen

My 12 y.o. son and I were looking for something to do outside on Sunday and on a whim I Googled fossil locations near us. That’s how I found out about “DSR” in Madison County, NY. We hopped in our car and found our way there. What a beautiful location!

When we arrived we saw that there were already people there and I had two thoughts:

1) We’re going to get kicked out

or

2) We’re really going to annoy some experienced fossil hunters as we plod about cluelessly

Well, it turned out to be @Fossildude19 and @Jeffrey P! I know you guys don’t own the place, but thank you for being so kind and welcoming to us newbies, and for sharing some of your knowledge (and a trilobite) with us! I hope you had some good luck!

My son and I were not well equipped that day, but still had a blast breaking up some rocks. We live nearby and I can’t wait to go back sometime. I’ve lived in this area all my life and never realized fossils are so plentiful here. I need to learn a lot more about them so I know what I’m looking at!

D362BCED-BE88-464D-A21E-A678D3817C22.jpeg

11A3EAEA-2AD1-4A90-BF6E-85C6FB66D82A.jpeg

• I found this Informative 15

Congratulations on your first successful hunt with your son! Sounds like you had a great time with good company. May your next trip there be all the more fruitful! 

High five to @Fossildude19 and @Jeffrey P for being great representatives of TFF and helping a new member (and son) to have an awesome day! :SlapHands:

• I found this Informative 5

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Nice meeting both of you and glad you had a good time. I hope you'll get there again someday soon. I'm sure our paths will cross. Best wishes and welcome to TFF.

• I found this Informative 3

Hey FossilJen!

Welcome to the Fossil Forum. :) 

Glad you made your way here.  :tiphat:

It was nice to meet you and your son. 

There are plenty of sites to fossil hunt at in your neck of the woods. 

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. ;)  

Welcome again!

• I found this Informative 6

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

That's cool!  Fossil hunting has been a really fun (and educational) activity I have been able to share with my three kids the last few years.  You have come the right place for help.  A hearty welcome from Virginia!

• I found this Informative 1

8 hours ago, FossilJen said:

My 12 y.o. son and I were looking for something to do outside on Sunday and on a whim I Googled fossil locations near us. That’s how I found out about “DSR” in Madison County, NY. We hopped in our car and found our way there. What a beautiful location!

What a start into the world of fossils! Welcome to TFF from Austria to you and your son.

8 hours ago, FossilJen said:

I had two thoughts:

1) We’re going to get kicked out

or

2) We’re really going to annoy some experienced fossil hunters as we plod about cluelessly

This can happen in Central Europe, but not in the US :D. What a start into the world of "fossil people" :dinothumb:.

Happy hunting!
Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 2

29 minutes ago, Neanderthal Shaman said:

You met the legend himself?

What are the chances?

My son knows nothing about forums and told me “He said he’s a ‘ministrator’ of The Fossil Forum!” He was a little star struck. :BigSmile:

• I found this Informative 3

Welcome to the forum!  I'm a newbie myself. I joined TFF to ID an ammonite fragment that I found eight years ago while fishing, but never got around to taking up fossil hunting as a hobby until this year.

On 8/12/2020 at 7:33 PM, Neanderthal Shaman said:

You met the legend himself?

There were no legends present.  :rolleyes:

Only folks who "dig"  fossils. :)  ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me